Tailpipes for a '95 R

Mustanganatic

FOG
Established Member
I'm doing long tube headers on my R with an O/R X-pipe and Borla XR-1 mufflers. The only 2.5" tailpipes I could find are ones from SR Performance (American Muscle brand) and from 5.0 Resto (LMR brand). Anyone have any experience with either? I checked the reviews and just checked the bad ones. It appears both have had a very few number that have had problems with the hangers in the wrong spot and various fitment issues. I wouldn't doubt the same manufacturer makes them both for American Muscle and LMR. I'm wondering if the fuel cell on the R could be a problem since some of reviews had fitment issues with the fuel tank on their GTs and Cobras. Don't have much of an option, it'll be a coin toss :confused:

SLOWBRA

Established Member
Mine has a bassani catback. Unfortunately, I did not install the system (previous owner did) so I do not know if the system was modified in anyway to go around the fuel cell. What I can tell you is that the tailpipes clear the cell and the tires well. However, when I go to HPDE events the rear end has enough side-to-side play that the tailpipes rub the tires.

brianz426

Established Member
How about flowmaster? Their tail pipes even have the polished stainless ends like factory. Not sure but it’s possible you may have to buy a complete cat-back to get them.

Mustanganatic

FOG
Established Member
Thanks Slowbra and Brian for the input. I'd like to stick with a completely stainless tailpipe... the Flowmaster, I believe, was aluminized out of the mufflers and only the tips were polished. The vast majority of the reviews were stellar on both the AM and LMR tailpipes. I'm just a pessimist... if anything can go wrong, it will :rolleyes: I won't be doing this until Spring, I'm just getting all my ducks in a row.

tomshep

Another R Addict
Established Member
Do some reading and searching in this forum. There have been threads on this before.

Very few systems clear due to the cell. As I recall, there was one that cleared with no issues. I am thinking it was Flowmaster. Maybe some else will remember.

Todd, was it a system you were running?

Tom

Philcsag1

Established Member
It,s been a very long time since I went thru this with the exhaust on the 95R (owned the car 19 years now)
I tried Magnaflow system and one of the tail pipes would not fit.
I think the tail pipes from Walker Dyno Max kit didt fit. ( still available from rockauto)
Marathon had an exhaust system market thru FRPP or Motorsoprt that did fit but mufflers were very wide.
I have a factory ct back from a 96 Cobra on it now.

Philcsag1

Established Member
FYI if I was going to do the exhaust over I would go to to a custom exhaust shop that did the work on my 93 and have them make the tail pipes
United Exhaust Long Island NY

SLOWBRA

Established Member
Here are a few pics of my Bassani system. It doesn’t rub driving it on the street.

Please don’t mind the dirt under there - ran off into the grass a bit during a track event and haven’t washed under there yet.

90fd101137afebe5cc809d6e0c8ceab2.jpg

22113e3f61b0c534ec3ec657cb35c552.jpg

8c860a168b5334711cb264de51889e97.jpg

brianz426

Established Member
Do some reading and searching in this forum. There have been threads on this before.

Very few systems clear due to the cell. As I recall, there was one that cleared with no issues. I am thinking it was Flowmaster. Maybe some else will remember.

Todd, was it a system you were running?

Tom

Tom,
I think you are correct, I believe Todd recommended the Flowmaster to me a few years ago. I currently have the aluminized Flowmaster system that the previous owner installed. Not having the factory look of the polished stainless tips bothered me so I bought the updated system. Unfortunately I haven’t installed them yet. I could check the box next week for the part number when I go back to work. A search may turn up Todd’s original thread.

Users who are viewing this thread