taillight tint

svtsupersnake

Banned
So i am new and i am not sure if about the rules of the forum but i went through like 20 pages and havent found anything on tail light tint. I am wondering what is the law for tail light tint in maryland. I googled it and it said has to be visible up to 300 ft but there seems to be no law for putting something on as long as the light is still visible. I currently have 3 coats of vht on my tail lights so they are kinda dark but by no means blacked out. The vht allows the light to shine through just fine as it did previously. So what exactly is the law on this for md? I asked a cop he didnt know.

Lt. ZO6

Established Member
You can receive an ERO for tinting the brake lights.

Btw,

It's 300 feet in normal daylight and 1000 feet at night.

Don't be an idiot. Don't tint your brake lights. They are there to warn other motorists. It amazes me how self centered people can be...

FordSVTFan

Oh, the humanity of it all.
Established Member
So i am new and i am not sure if about the rules of the forum but i went through like 20 pages and havent found anything on tail light tint. I am wondering what is the law for tail light tint in maryland. I googled it and it said has to be visible up to 300 ft but there seems to be no law for putting something on as long as the light is still visible. I currently have 3 coats of vht on my tail lights so they are kinda dark but by no means blacked out. The vht allows the light to shine through just fine as it did previously. So what exactly is the law on this for md? I asked a cop he didnt know.

sorry, but it is not possible that you have the same visibility with three coats if vht as compared to none.

Lt. ZO6

Established Member
OP, you had the answer all along... From VHT themselves, on their website...

VHT Nite-Shades™ is a transparent black tail light lens coating for creating a custom European styling. When applied to tail lights, fog lights or turn indicators, VHT Nite-Shades™ appears black until they are lit, then the natural red color appears. Warning: Once applied to a plastic lens, VHT Nite-Shades™ cannot be satisfactorily removed. For off-road use only.

svtsupersnake

Banned
well i had a shop do them. i dont have my 3rd brake light tinted cuz its a black led on my mustang i put led bulbs in the tail lights when i tinted my lights. It looks basically the same at night. It looks slightly less bright during the day though they never looked that bright during the day to begin wit

svtsupersnake

Banned
also as far as the distances i dont understand how a cop could gauge if they could see my lights from 1000 feet thats like 3 football fields and they couldnt tell from that distance wat kind of car i have at night let alone if my tail lights are too dark from tints or not

Lt. ZO6

Established Member
also as far as the distances i dont understand how a cop could gauge if they could see my lights from 1000 feet thats like 3 football fields and they couldnt tell from that distance wat kind of car i have at night let alone if my tail lights are too dark from tints or not

You don't believe a person can see illuminated, non-tinted tail lights from 1000' at night?

svtsupersnake

Banned
no i am sure they could see my lights i just dont think someone could tell if they were tinted or not from that distance. when you think about it 1000 ft is pretty damn far to see especially at night. Any light really would be visible. So i dont see how a cop would pull someone over for their tail lights unless its like blacked out which is like 5 or 6 coats of vht to get them blacked out

FordSVTFan

Oh, the humanity of it all.
Established Member
no i am sure they could see my lights i just dont think someone could tell if they were tinted or not from that distance. when you think about it 1000 ft is pretty damn far to see especially at night. Any light really would be visible. So i dont see how a cop would pull someone over for their tail lights unless its like blacked out which is like 5 or 6 coats of vht to get them blacked out

Wow, you just dont get it. Let me guess, you are under 21.

It is called perspective. Two cars sitting next to each other at 1000 feet and one car has bright illumination, while the car next to it appears to be dim. The officer now follows the dim lights at an accelerated rate of speed until he has caught the "dim bulb" and the citation process begins.

svtcop

Pain Don't Hurt
Established Member
yea well but then hes not following the law cuz the law is if they can see it from 1000 ft then i shouldnt get any ticket

:nonono:

Are the reflectors in your taillight still visible with the tint?

Take a picture of your taillights standing about 10 feet away with a camera equipped with a flash. Do it in the daytime with your taillights turned off.

I will easily be able to tell you if your lights would make the grade.

Iceman II

Right Behind You!
Established Member
^ Thats the way it is here in Texas. It must reflect red at all times. What I have seen in the past for example is Dodge had a Rams head that could be put over the tail light. The red could still be seen through the Rams Head.
This is okay as long as the red and reflect red can be seen at a 1,000 ft.

SCcobra4me

ON3 U LUZ
Established Member
I want to do mine as well and want to put enough color on my taillights and headlights to have people notice that I did them but don't want them too dark to get pulled over which pretty much just means leave them alone!

svtsupersnake

Banned
i mean i am getting a gt500 in may brand new and i am gonna tint those tail lights too but on those i think i will only do 2 coats maybe 2 and a half and keep the reverse lights un tinted as well.

Boomer182

Haveyoutriedhittingher?
Established Member
Here is my personal experience from being pulled over by a state trooper here in Texas. Yes I was pulled over for my window tint on the windows. He also checked my headlight and tail light tint. He said it was fully with in the legal limits and to me it seems pretty dark, but when I hit the brakes it showed through better then 3-4 coats of vht. I have 2 coats of vht on my tail lights on my truck and coupe. You can still see plenty of red it just toned the red down. I have had no issues with the local or state pd.

Iceman II

Right Behind You!
Established Member
Here is my personal experience from being pulled over by a state trooper here in Texas. Yes I was pulled over for my window tint on the windows. He also checked my headlight and tail light tint. He said it was fully with in the legal limits and to me it seems pretty dark, but when I hit the brakes it showed through better then 3-4 coats of vht. I have 2 coats of vht on my tail lights on my truck and coupe. You can still see plenty of red it just toned the red down. I have had no issues with the local or state pd.

I would say you need to look at the Texas Transportation Code under Section 547.303 & 547.322.
If your getting the vehicle inspected like this the inspector needs some talking to.
Headlights if they are blacked out and not in use is okay. But, when they are turned on it becomes illegal. The color needs to be White or the Blueish factory color folks.
If this State Trooper pulls you over, there is going to be a different outcome.

SPEEDRACER88

I didn't pick your car
Established Member
I bought a set from American Muscle... I put extra bright bulbs in them

015.jpg

b39a2577.jpg

03cd9158.jpg

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread