Taillight conversion & side mirrors

Dekorum

Established Member
Two questions, so I just made one thread.

1. Can some one tell me exactly what is needed to hook 96-98 taillights up to a 94-95? If the 96-98 lights come with the wiring harness that goes from each bulb, is that all I need?

2. I want to hear some prices that people have gotten their side mirrors painted for. And since I don't want any kind of overspray near my car, can the side mirrors come off so they can be painted off the car?

Goindeafonmtx

Established Member
Two questions, so I just made one thread.

1. Can some one tell me exactly what is needed to hook 96-98 taillights up to a 94-95? If the 96-98 lights come with the wiring harness that goes from each bulb, is that all I need?

2. I want to hear some prices that people have gotten their side mirrors painted for. And since I don't want any kind of overspray near my car, can the side mirrors come off so they can be painted off the car?

They come off. If your car has a mach 460 sound system, take off the tweeter speaker. Behind that there is three 7/16th nuts. Those nuts come off. Then unhook the wiring for the power mirror and its free.

It shouldn't cost more than $100 to get them painted.

Dekorum

Established Member
Answer to question 1:

Yes, the 96 - 98 wiring harness is all that is needed.

Steff

So if I get it like this I can just plug it in where my stock taillights plugged into?
c785_1.JPG

greenstang1313 said:
dude just get your stock tail lights repainted! I think 94/95 taillights are a necessity on 5.0 SNs.:rockon:

Eh, I can get 96-98 lights already in black for cheaper than I am being charged to paint my 94/95s. I used to be in love with the horizontals but its time for a change. Its alright, its not like I am throwing my 94/95's out. I can always get them painted later on and put them back on. :pepper:

Venomous Cobra

ballinn!!!
Established Member
dude just get your stock tail lights repainted! I think 94/95 taillights are a necessity on 5.0 SNs.:rockon:

i agree 96-98 are over done on 94-95's..IMO when you put them on your trying too make it a 4.6. I had them on my car for 4 days and i sold them..keep your tailights i think our tailights are alot more aggressive looking, as for the mirrors i got mine done for free hehe, but any shop should only charge you like 50 bucks at most.

Dekorum

Established Member
i agree 96-98 are over done on 94-95's..IMO when you put them on your trying too make it a 4.6. I had them on my car for 4 days and i sold them..keep your tailights i think our tailights are alot more aggressive looking, as for the mirrors i got mine done for free hehe, but any shop should only charge you like 50 bucks at most.

I still don't know about the tail lights.. But, should I trust a shop that is charging 50 bucks to do my mirrors with them on the car? (over spray)

Venomous Cobra

ballinn!!!
Established Member
I still don't know about the tail lights.. But, should I trust a shop that is charging 50 bucks to do my mirrors with them on the car? (over spray)
over spray on what? you have too take the mirror's off your car too do them, they mask off the mirror part and just paint the housings. It cant be anything more than 50-75 for painting them reg black with clear coat there's no body work involved since 94-95 have smooth plastic mirror's.

Dekorum

Established Member
Oh, I thought a paint shop would normally keep the mirrors on the car and of course mask off the mirror part.

95riosnake

Established Member
I only paid $75 to paint my mirrors, but it was along with getting my hood painted, so they might have cut me a little break.

Team Dave

I broke something
Established Member
If I had a 94-95, I'd keep the horizontal tails for sure. I love em! Let's people know if your are a 5.0 or 4.6 from a distance. But hey, it's your car, do what you want!

Getting the mirror off isn't too hard... Only problem I ran into was unplugging the wiring... I had to remove the door panels for that and holy hell what a pain in the ass it is to get them back on! I think this time around, I'm gonna spend a Saturday painting them myself with them still on the car.. Sand em, spray em and clear em all myself. Not sure what paint I'll use, but it's black... can't be too hard too match! Ha

Team Dave

I broke something
Established Member
Oh and FWIW, on my old red Cobra, I had the mirrors, Saleen spoiler, and tail light bezels all painted red for $300. Was done by a suuuuuuper good body shop. Now the guys work on salary, so It would cost less than half that now. It's good to know people :beer:

Users who are viewing this thread