Tail of the Dragon Run

Gadsden

Hello folks, first post on SVTP as I just got back into a Mustang with a '14 GT.

I'm wondering if you guys from NC/SC/GA/TN etc have gotten together to run the dragon or surrounding routes. I tried to search with no luck. Car shows are great but spirited driving on these great roads is where it's at for me, so I didn't want to miss any potential events upcoming this Spring.

R.D.P.

Extra Sprinkles
Established Member
There's no SVT or Mustang annual event in that area that I know of. I wish there was, I've heard that the annual Nissan Z event is epic. For the Mustang crowd it's all about Mustang Week in Myrtle Beach in July.

Gadsden

I've done the dragon several times and it is an absolute must for car lovers who're close enough to make the trip. I'm planning to go stay in Robbinsville NC on the night of April 28th to hit the dragon early on Friday morning the 29th, as Saturdays have much more traffic and i've not seen the LEO presence on Fridays typically. I figure to be at Deal's Gap Motorcycle resort by 8:30 or 9, run it both directions, then go back across it west and run the Dragon/Cherohala loop, which is about 120 miles. Afterward figure something out for lunch, then if time permits run Moonshiner 28 either halfway, to Franklin NC, or all the way to Walhalla SC, then head back home.

I know this is super short notice particularly for a weekday but anyone who wanted to meetup would be welcome. I will probably have a couple friends making the trip with me, one probably in a Mustang and one not. If nothing else I'll use this as a scouting trip for future possibilities. I'd be interested to know how many might consider a trip for a couple days in the fall as well, since there are many cool routes and places to stay or visit in the area.

matthayn

COBRO TO 5.BRO
Established Member
Have not done it but it's on the list for sure! I would like to make it mustang week at some point, would probably run the Dragon on the way over.

gripguru

Established Member
im looking at planning an trip late September- early October. seriously been a life long dream to go and its time to make it happen. will be coming from Langley AFB, Va so I will probably stay down there for about a week or so.

mattmynhier

Established Member
Guys,
I have been going to 129 for 20 years, mostly on sport bikes but cars are fun too. I live in Knoxville and prefer to travel the dragon on the off peak season as there is literally zero traffic. I took my wife through there last month in our huge LX470 on our way back from Bryson City and had her nauseous, but my three year old daughter was having a blast. She definitely is her father's daughter! It's a blast, but over the last decade the LEO presence has become unbearable and the amount of idiots has tripled. I went into the woods a few years back on my 1000rr because some tool crossed lanes and i almost became his hood ornament. Did not even stop. Luckily, I kept it upright and went right in between some trees and didn't destroy my bike.
If you guys are serious about coming let me know. I am def down for a run.
Cheers, Matt

Zemedici

Established Member
Guys,
I have been going to 129 for 20 years, mostly on sport bikes but cars are fun too. I live in Knoxville and prefer to travel the dragon on the off peak season as there is literally zero traffic. I took my wife through there last month in our huge LX470 on our way back from Bryson City and had her nauseous, but my three year old daughter was having a blast. She definitely is her father's daughter! It's a blast, but over the last decade the LEO presence has become unbearable and the amount of idiots has tripled. I went into the woods a few years back on my 1000rr because some tool crossed lanes and i almost became his hood ornament. Did not even stop. Luckily, I kept it upright and went right in between some trees and didn't destroy my bike.
If you guys are serious about coming let me know. I am def down for a run.
Cheers, Matt

This....I went about 6 months ago with some mustang buddies on a day trip, and to be honest I wouldnt have any interest in going again. Too many 16 year olds in Miatas and hondas that cant ****ing drive their shit boxes....crossing double yellows, spinning out, etc. Not to mention 5-0 is always watching up there nowadays.

Gadsden

Late in May is a good time to be there. I went for the first time on a Saturday in October (Avi) and will not do that in season again, but Friday's early in the morning have typically been pretty good for me. I saw rumor of the Hot Rod Power Tour ending in Bowling Green so may try to hit the last leg of that and do the dragon on the way back in June.

Users who are viewing this thread