Tail lights ... option to replace Amber

cartec

I don’t want to be on this site anymore
Established Member
What options do I have for replacing the tail lights on my '99 svt cobra? Replacing with Amber ones are expensive. Any feedback is much appreciated.

ashleyroachclip

Established Member
I take it that your stock 99 lights have been changed out with 03-04 style ?
If so , all you can do is hope you can save up enough money for a set , before the prices go up any more .

Badasssapper67

Established Member
I had the same problem. Seems in Germany cars have to have amber turn signal lights in their taillights, so every GI with a Mustang is after the 99 Cobra tail lights.
Problem is, no other tail lights look so damned cool on the back end, so I ended up saving $450 and buying a good original set that was still in boxes. I got real lucky they weren't used, and they look badass.

cartec

Established Member
I had the same problem. Seems in Germany cars have to have amber turn signal lights in their taillights, so every GI with a Mustang is after the 99 Cobra tail lights.
Problem is, no other tail lights look so damned cool on the back end, so I ended up saving $450 and buying a good original set that was still in boxes. I got real lucky they weren't used, and they look badass.

Thank you for the info! Much appreciated.

cartec

Established Member
What needs to be done to convert over to a Mustang GT type tail light? Can I get the wiring harness and lights from a GT to get a working setup?

Badasssapper67

Established Member
You can, there are write ups on the net on how to do it, but I believe it involves some slicing and splicing.
Just remember if you buy gt lights and the wiring harness that's all money that could've gone with the good tail lights. Im saying this because that's the route I took and wasted good money. In the end it just wasn't as good to look at. In the end I bought the 99 lights and put them on.
Good luck and post a picture which ever way you go.

Brewkett

Established Member
I went with these, both of my amber's turned black and wasn't going to fork out $500+ for lights that will do the same thing. I got the smoked, and looks good.

Attachments

• s-l1600.jpg
    s-l1600.jpg
    89.1 KB · Views: 112

shurur

Established Member
I went with these, both of my amber's turned black and wasn't going to fork out $500+ for lights that will do the same thing. I got the smoked, and looks good.

nice look.
Q: Do those lights have a separate socket on the bottom lights for my cobra turn signal light?

shurur

Established Member
Nothing is wrong with them. I wanted to change them out for non amber.

You can keep the separate turn signal on the red gt lights by drilling out the 1"hole on the lower outer corner ans filing some key slots for the connector. Them you have no wiring to deal with.

cartec

Established Member

Thank you for the reply! :)

Did you have to do any additionally wiring, or did these have the correct wiring connectors?

Does this part number match yours?
K2-LT-MST99BBLED-SQ-TM

Thanks in advance for any help. Best, T

Last edited:

Brewkett

Established Member
I went with the smoked as I thought it looked better. but yes that's them.
They are wired to plug up to GT car, not the Cobra, as the Cobra has a different connector. (5 pin)
I went to the local junk yard and got a left and right vehicle side light connector (4 pin) cut and spliced the new connectors in and taped up the 5th wire as you will not be using it. then you need to make a jumper that plugs into 2 connectors under the dash by the hood release. Doing it this way kind of makes going back to the cobra lights little harder. I wasn't able to find pig tails to make jumper harnesses to keep from cutting and splicing the vehicle. I'm not planning on going back so it wasn't to big of a deal for me. Here is the link I followed to modifying the wiring
https://www.stangnet.com/mustang-forums/threads/cobra-tail-light-swap-help.806934/

Users who are viewing this thread