tackling the polish exhaust

gaspasr

Established Member
I did a mediocre job on my OW. I want to do it right on my black coupe this time. I already ordered the flapper wheel. About how many package of sheets of each grit size do you guys recommend buying?

weaselp1

Established Member
I wouldn't think that would work well seeing as the pipes are round. Just prepare for your arms and fingers to hate you.

that is why i asked about using the power sander for it all...i know my fingers and arms are going to hate me :cryying: .... this is something i plan on tackling this spring when i get the cobra out of storage before driving season :)

Boogie Chillin

Pew, pew, ... pew, pew, pew.
Established Member
Easiest way is probably a static polishing wheel with different buffing pads. Alas, I didn't have access to one. I tried a hand sander for the early low grit, but moved on to a flapper wheel on a drill. It was still not that easy.

maltz87

Established Member
Here are mine.....IMO, do it right the first time.... 150 grit flapper wheel followed by wet sanding by hand 100, 320, 400, 800, 1000, 1500, 2000 grit followed by mag polish with a buffer. It takes time but in the end, its worth it.

IMG_0038.JPG
IMG_0057.JPG

cj428mach

Established Member
My Magnaflow catback came out right but my UPR stainless X isn't coming out worth a damn. I thought I sanded it down far enough to get the lines out of it from the mandrel but now that I'm at 600+ grit its obvious that I screwed up...but I was getting nervous that I was sanding too much in order to get some of the deep grooves out.

I think I'm just going to slap it on and run it, from 5ft away it looks good.

CobraLucci

LEO
Established Member
Ok, well i seen all these posts on sanding and stuff. But this process takes quite a bit of time. I used a high speed buffer with mothers alum polish. And 45 minutes later....
3e1fb60f863d8645865bab073aa79227.jpg
any pros or cons in doing this vs sanding it ?

White Elephant

Established Member
The toughest part in the process is removing the mandrel-bent lines/marks, but as others have stated, use a 150 grit flapper wheel on a drill before moving on to sanding. The key here is to take your time, don't rush it. Set aside a weekend to do it, take breaks if needed. I polished my borla stinger catback this way & the finished results were amazing.

Users who are viewing this thread