Tach signal wire location?

DMotorsports

Established Member
Anybody know where the tach signal wire is on the ecu plugs? I'm installing a new tach that says to tie into the signal wire, but doesn't give it's location.

54First

Grouchy Old Guy
Established Member
My 2008 wiring diagrams don't show a tach signal wire. There may not be one.

Quote from the factory service manual: The instrument cluster (IC) receives the tachometer data from the PCM over the communication network and commands the tachometer pointer between 0 and 7,000 rpm (4.0L and 5.4L engines), or between 0 and 8,000 rpm (4.6L engine) according to the data.

I've seen units from MSD and others that give a tach signal for distributorless ignitions.

jimh

Established Member
Tap into one of grounds from the coil packs. Thats what tachs use as their signal. I had to do that for my wideband commander to be able to log rpms with the wideband data. Worked fine.

DMotorsports

Established Member
Ok. Pin 25 on the middle plug on the ECU is not wired up to anything from the factory. However, this pin provides a clean tach signal that can be wired directly to an aftermarket tach. No tach adapter needed with this method. Figured this out today after some in depth research on some other forums and used this info to install my new tach. Worked like a charm.

ghig50

Established Member
Ok. Pin 25 on the middle plug on the ECU is not wired up to anything from the factory. However, this pin provides a clean tach signal that can be wired directly to an aftermarket tach. No tach adapter needed with this method. Figured this out today after some in depth research on some other forums and used this info to install my new tach. Worked like a charm.

Can anyone confirm where pin 25 is

ghig50

Established Member
Great info thanks
I took a look at pin 25 Makes sense.
Looks like I would need to make a hole in the harness wire module to get a wire in to the computer pin. Not planning on doing that maybe there is a better way

ghig50

Established Member
Has anyone on here used pin 25 or any other unused pin.
25 is supposed to be a cto clean tach output.
It appears that you would have to drill a small hole in the wiring harness female end that plugs into the computer?then?

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk

ghig50

Established Member
Anyone wired into a pin that was not being used?
This seems to be the best way to get a clean tach signal?

SirShaun

Established Member
Tap into one of grounds from the coil packs. Thats what tachs use as their signal. I had to do that for my wideband commander to be able to log rpms with the wideband data. Worked fine.

I've heard coil wires can be noisy. I opted to use a Tsplice on an injector wire on my 2006 Mustang GT for my Window Switch, never had any problems.

Users who are viewing this thread