T56 Won't Go Into Gear After Sitting

SeikenFreak

2 Scoops
Established Member
Okay, quick run down since I'm hastily typing this up.

'03 Mach, I swapped in a used Cobra T-56 earlier this year (I think? I can't even remember)

It's been pretty okay for months now. I've taken the car to 4-5 track days now with no issues. Semi-regular daily driving as well. The car sat for two ish weeks after the previous one and now it suddenly won't go into gear when its running.

I can't figure out why. It's a new clutch/flywheel/TOB. I just got underneath it and pulled the fork cover to look around and I can't see or feel anything wrong? I tightened up the cable a bunch at the firewall adjuster to see if just giving it more pull would disengage the clutch and nothing. Cable moves freely (Its a relatively new OEM cable I think)

My guesses are: Because my driveway is a stupid hill, and that with lack of movement just moved all the fluid back and then now its just dry and won't circulate (I know this is crazy dumb and probably makes no sense). Or something is wrong with the trans? Or some other weird issue that makes no sense. Last time I drove it was an hour + drive down to the track, 60 mins of hard driving, and then an hour + drive back home and no issues. Done this 4-5 times now with no issues.

The only issue the trans seemed to have was that it did not like going from 3rd -> 2nd. You'd have to push it towards 1st and then back down to 2nd, or sort of double clutch rev match the bish and it would work sometimes. Not a huge deal. I've been managing to live with it. I'm assuming its a synchro issue or whatever. Trans supposedly had 50k ish miles on it I think.

Because my driveway is a hill, I can't get the car into the garage to do all the work myself. Unless I think of some miracle way. So it'd have to get towed to a shop or something. I'd love to figure this out without doing that.

Thanks for any sweet knowledge bombs.

01yellercobra

Established Member
Will it not going into any gear at all or just 1st? It's weird if you're blocked out of all of the gears. I can't imagine being parked on a hill being an issue. Unless it's like a 6% grade or something. Have you tried rolling the car back a little to see if that helps?

SeikenFreak

2 Scoops
Established Member
Okay, so internet went out while typing initial response. Had idea while typing so went and tried. I put car in Reverse and pushed the car back about a foot. Seemed okay so then put it in 1st and tried to push it forward but it didn't want to move. I then tried bumping the starter while in 1st with clutch engaged (which I did before). Car was trying to lurch forward as it did before. What seemed of was that it would sort of try to move forward but would back, as if it was binding up. I then gave it one last solid starter bump and it made a bang sound and rolled.

Now it goes into gear. Drove it around the block in 1st, 2nd, and 3rd. Seems normal. Sooo.. did something jam/dry/rust up from sitting? It's been a couple very hot weeks. Doesn't make sense to me. Or was it some weird clutch thing because it wasn't disengaging even with pedal in and it somehow busted something back into place.

More importantly, is this some bigger sign of a problem and I should send the trans out for a rebuild? Or just don't let it sit like that.. Hmmm.

Typed this all up on my phone :/

Last edited:

01yellercobra

Established Member
The bang makes me nervous. If it was lurching while you had the clutch pedal pushed down then something was definitly up with the clutch adjustment. Something I have heard about is a clutch disc "welding" itself to the flywheel. When it did this the trans acted like the clutch was never released. The cars I've heard of this happening on where down for months though. Not a couple weeks.

But between the bang and the shifting issues you mentioned in the first post I'd start saving for a rebuild just to be safe.

Last edited:

SeikenFreak

2 Scoops
Established Member
Just took it for a 45 min drive or so. All seems normal. Bleh.

The bang sounded similar or reminded me of when a car would sit and the pads were stuck nicely to the rotors. Nice snap/bang sound when they break loose.

And I actually have enough for the rebuild now.. But I was about to spend that on brakes for the Nissan. :nonono:

I dunno.

3xBlackCobra

Established Member
I had the exact same experience in my old manual ranger, but that was due to driving through Canada during the winter. I was driving North to South and temps changed from -30 to about 38 that day. Some ice must have melted around my drivetrain and froze again at night. Eventually revved the car hard the next morning and heard a loud "pop", and it started rolling forward just fine.

Obviously, with it being August, your issue is a little different. :)

Users who are viewing this thread