T56 Swap What's needed?

Stang Lover

Established Member
Like title says. Been looking for 3650 replacements but used T56's have been in the mid 1000's and I wouldn't mind scooping a mid mileage one up. I know I need the driveshaft, trans mount, & harness. Is there any else I need besides that? Can someone point me to a good write up also? How would with trans perform being i'm basically a bolt on car with 3.27 which I plan to upgrade to 3.73 soon. Thanks in advance I need all the knowledge I can get about this pictures everything!

jymboslice

Rookie
Established Member
T56, bell housing, shifter, cross member, wiring harness, driveshaft. I'd also upgrade to a 26spline input shaft too.

And I don't know if they have the reverse lockout thing or not.

Stang Lover

Established Member
T56, bell housing, shifter, cross member, wiring harness, driveshaft. I'd also upgrade to a 26spline input shaft too.

And I don't know if they have the reverse lockout thing or not.

What about flywheel? How hard is it to put the input shaft in? How much modification do I have to do to the harness?

Last edited:

jymboslice

Rookie
Established Member
I believe with a 26 spline input shaft upgrade, you would only need a new clutch, you could keep your flywheel.

the 26 spline input shaft pretty much just drops in. If you were getting a used T56, I'd have a shop take a look at everything first before putting it into the car. I'd just have them upgrade the input shaft, while it's all apart.

Get a 03/04 cobra transmission harness. easier than modifying yours.

Stang Lover

Established Member
I believe with a 26 spline input shaft upgrade, you would only need a new clutch, you could keep your flywheel.

the 26 spline input shaft pretty much just drops in. If you were getting a used T56, I'd have a shop take a look at everything first before putting it into the car. I'd just have them upgrade the input shaft, while it's all apart.

Get a 03/04 cobra transmission harness. easier than modifying yours.

Yeah i'd be getting used don't really wanna spend $2500+ new lol. It sounds pretty straight forward but the 03/04 harness just plugs up to my old connections? So if I wanted to upgrade the input shaft down the road I could just use any 11" 10spline clutch for now? I don't drag much maybe 3-5x a year with the occasional street or spirited hwy run & rarely launch as I don't want to break my halfshafts.

Last edited:

KLeech

2V FTW
Established Member
Going to a 26 spline input shaft is something I'd seriously consider if you're planning to make more than bolt on power/ launch the car incredibly hard at the track. The input shaft is what is going to take all the initial torque before anything else so if you're making big power it can twist the splines. It can be changed over down the road if you decide you want to make more power than you're currently making. The clutch is input shaft spline specific so you'll either need a 10 spline for the stock one or 26 if you upgrade. The flywheel should not matter.

I really read into this swap alot before deciding I didn't want to spend this much money and buying a built T-45. The 03 cobra driveshaft works but iirc there was a lot of info out there that varied about some people saying something was to long/to short (although that may have pertained to the magnum as that was what I was looking at) You'll need the correct pinion flange also for the end of the driveshaft that bolts to the pig in the rear end. I'm pretty sure the cobra one works, but I would double check.

Their are three wiring pigtails they sell that are needed for the swap, I know one is for the reverse lockout, ones for the back up lights, and the other the VSS vehicle speed sensor. These can be bought off ebay, and then it's just extending wires and finding a power source for the reverse lockout.

The crossmember is something you can buy for less of a headache, but I also read alot about people just modifying their own and using it. I'm guessing they just drilled out the holes more.

The bellhousing is a must, you could get lucky enough to find one that already has it included.

Check out D&D performance online, they sell the complete conversion kit with one of their magnums. It'll give you a bit of a better idea of what you'll need and pictures to actually stare at which is always a plus. It's a pretty straightforward swap from what I gathered reading about it. Also somewhere at home I have a brand new crossmember and those three wiring pigtails still from when I started collecting parts, if I can find them I'll cut you a deal on them, used to have a bellhousing too but already sold it.

Stang Lover

Established Member
Going to a 26 spline input shaft is something I'd seriously consider if you're planning to make more than bolt on power/ launch the car incredibly hard at the track. The input shaft is what is going to take all the initial torque before anything else so if you're making big power it can twist the splines. It can be changed over down the road if you decide you want to make more power than you're currently making. The clutch is input shaft spline specific so you'll either need a 10 spline for the stock one or 26 if you upgrade. The flywheel should not matter.

I really read into this swap alot before deciding I didn't want to spend this much money and buying a built T-45. The 03 cobra driveshaft works but iirc there was a lot of info out there that varied about some people saying something was to long/to short (although that may have pertained to the magnum as that was what I was looking at) You'll need the correct pinion flange also for the end of the driveshaft that bolts to the pig in the rear end. I'm pretty sure the cobra one works, but I would double check.

Their are three wiring pigtails they sell that are needed for the swap, I know one is for the reverse lockout, ones for the back up lights, and the other the VSS vehicle speed sensor. These can be bought off ebay, and then it's just extending wires and finding a power source for the reverse lockout.

The crossmember is something you can buy for less of a headache, but I also read alot about people just modifying their own and using it. I'm guessing they just drilled out the holes more.

The bellhousing is a must, you could get lucky enough to find one that already has it included.

Check out D&D performance online, they sell the complete conversion kit with one of their magnums. It'll give you a bit of a better idea of what you'll need and pictures to actually stare at which is always a plus. It's a pretty straightforward swap from what I gathered reading about it. Also somewhere at home I have a brand new crossmember and those three wiring pigtails still from when I started collecting parts, if I can find them I'll cut you a deal on them, used to have a bellhousing too but already sold it.

Hmm. Sounds like a few nickle and dime parts is what's most needed in the swap. I'm not dead set on it yet i'm just planning out now before I pull the trigger. Cost to performance is what i'm aiming for. My goals aren't 6xx+ extreme but 500 would be the max I would run on a street car but i'd be content with 450ish running 11's if that helps.

I just looked on promotions site and it looks like i'll be looking in their built 3650 they sell for 1700 that handles 700 which is more than enough for me.

Last edited:

KLeech

2V FTW
Established Member
Read a lot of good things about promotions 3650 as well. One of the reasons I debated the t-56 was for a little more useable 1st gear considering the 3.37 1st in the t45 with an eaton is just useless, and the t-56 would also be better at highway driving as well.

I think here is where you really have to ask yourself is do I want a completely rebuilt fresh trans in the 3650 that you're the only one that's ever shifted so you'll always know how it was treated or a used 6 speed. I always like the idea of new stuff even though sometimes it's a little more expensive, comes with peace of mind that way.

Stang Lover

Established Member
Read a lot of good things about promotions 3650 as well. One of the reasons I debated the t-56 was for a little more useable 1st gear considering the 3.37 1st in the t45 with an eaton is just useless, and the t-56 would also be better at highway driving as well.

I think here is where you really have to ask yourself is do I want a completely rebuilt fresh trans in the 3650 that you're the only one that's ever shifted so you'll always know how it was treated or a used 6 speed. I always like the idea of new stuff even though sometimes it's a little more expensive, comes with peace of mind that way.

Good point. My brother told me the same yesterday about the used trans. Think I'll feel better buying a rebuilt one brand new parts knowing ill be the first one to shift it with the new guts. I'd still come out cheaper buying the promotion 700HP one I'd just have to get a new clutch and flywheel that's all.

jtsmg

Got my head in the clouds
Established Member
Even though I had a cobra harness I still had to modify my auto harness.. still need to figure out the lock out.. Leen you find those harnesses you mentioned... If you want to sale them let me know pm. If stang lover is really going to go with a 3650 i could use the harnesses u have.

Stang Lover

Established Member
Even though I had a cobra harness I still had to modify my auto harness.. still need to figure out the lock out.. Leen you find those harnesses you mentioned... If you want to sale them let me know pm. If stang lover is really going to go with a 3650 i could use the harnesses u have.

I have a 3650 already.

Clutch73

Established Member
Check out D&D performance online, they sell the complete conversion kit with one of their magnums. It'll give you a bit of a better idea of what you'll need and pictures to actually stare at which is always a plus. It's a pretty straightforward swap from what I gathered reading about it. Also somewhere at home I have a brand new crossmember and those three wiring pigtails still from when I started collecting parts, if I can find them I'll cut you a deal on them, used to have a bellhousing too but already sold it.[/QUOTE]

Iv'e had a lot of bad experience with D&D performance, (input shaft tack welded together then the replacement was too long) also be careful if you get a used T56. They tend to be really clunky at higher mileage, grind shifting into reverse and can develop a horrible rattle at 90 or so mph in 5th & 6th gear due to wear. After owning multiple T56 and swapping one in a 97 Cobra I will never use one again unless it is already beefed up or dirt cheap.

Users who are viewing this thread