T56 Swap Peeps Come On In

fordmotorsports

Established Member
So, I am getting ready to do a major redo of my car. I have 01 Cobra engine and tranny in my car now. Now, the new t56 setup I bought did not come with a driveshaft. As I have been reading on here, the 01 driveshaft is a bit shorter than the GT shaft. I have a SRA with the Cobra driveshaft and it works fine. Now, my question is that, have any of you tried using the 01 driveshaft and just changing the front yoke to a 27 spline? In my situation right now, that seems to be an option, since the t56 Cobra driveshaft is approx 1 inch shorter. A 27 spline front yoke can be had for about $70 and even if the driveshaft had to be shortened, it would still be cheaper than using a 03 driveshaft and adapting it to fit my combo.

Thoughts? suggestions?

Last edited:

Lightning&Mach1

Established Member
Thats what I did. The driveshaft I started with was a 5.0 Al with my t45 and IRS. I was a tight fit so I had it shortened 3/4". I the did the t56 swap and it was still tight so I shortened in an inch again. Hope that helps if any.

Fitzgerald0587

Established Member
If any of you that have done this swap dont mind answering. How much was the cost roughly? I am considering doing the swap when i get some sort of FI this summer.

IUP99snake

The Shocker
Established Member
I can't remember exactly, but I think it was roughly $1800-$2000 including the cost of the transmission. Just buy the swap kit that comes with the crossmember and driveshaft and it's completely a bolt in deal.

With the cost of used 03 cobra parts getting cheaper, you could probably find a T-56 from a wrecked car for less than a grand. That is, if you want a used one.

Homer

01COBRAOHIO

Established Member
i have just Started looking to do this swap in my 01 with a SRA is there something as far as the electrical connections that are different than the t3650

IUP99snake

The Shocker
Established Member
The electrical connections for the speed sensor and reverse lights should be exactly the same. Although my car came with the t-45 instead of the 3650 like in your case, it was all plug and play. The plugs are the same, and in roughly the same location as in the other transmission, so you don't need to extend any wires or anything.

There is, however, an extra connector on the T-56 which has caused much controversy, the infamous "reverse lockout" solenoid. The 03 cobras have it wired into the computer somehow, but most people will wire it into their brake switch, so the solenoid is open when your foot is on the brake. That allows you to move the shifter into reverse.

I don't have my solenoid hooked up. I tried, but some guy recommended the wrong connector that didn't work and I gave up on it. It's easy enough to shift into reverse anyways... the solenoid just makes it a little easier.

Taz

Established Member
If you ever want to connect the Reverse solenoid, the correct connector is a Delco #249.

01yellercobra

Established Member
The back up light switch is on the opposite side of the T-56 vs. the 3650. I soldered in longer wires so the plug could reach.

IUP99snake

The Shocker
Established Member
The back up light switch is on the opposite side of the T-56 vs. the 3650. I soldered in longer wires so the plug could reach.

Interesting. I didn't need to extend anything with the T-45. Then again, this thread is about a 3650 to T-56 swap, so there you go.

It's the same round plug with two threaded terminals on it though. You can't miss it.

What did you end up doing with the reverse lockout wiring? Did you even wire it up? If so, where did you get the connector, and what did you hook it up to? Someone even sells a "black box" that hooks up to the speed sensor wire. It unlocks the solenoid whenever you are below, say, 5MPH. But you can just as easily wire it into the brake switch. Some people have even used a shift knob with the little red button on it to activate the solenoid.

There's a little myth going around here on the forums that a "GM coolant temperature sensor" plug will fit. Although it looks similar and plugs in, it won't lock into place, and won't make a connection. I found that out the hard way and said the hell with it.

It's not that hard to get it into reverse anyways. But don't ever try to valet your car, they'll never be able to find reverse. Then again, I still have the 5 speed shift knob on my car, so that might cause a problem too. haha.

Homer

Taz

Established Member
Scroll down this page to the PT249 (4th one down) ...

Pigtails from Adaptive Performance

Descripton says, "GM Tremec T56 Reverse Lockout Solenoid pigtail connector with leads OEM connector and terminals ACDelco PT249"

It fit my 00R-spec T56 just fine. Mine's been installed for 4 years. No issues.

:thumbsup:

01yellercobra

Established Member
Interesting. I didn't need to extend anything with the T-45. Then again, this thread is about a 3650 to T-56 swap, so there you go.

It's the same round plug with two threaded terminals on it though. You can't miss it.

What did you end up doing with the reverse lockout wiring? Did you even wire it up? If so, where did you get the connector, and what did you hook it up to? Someone even sells a "black box" that hooks up to the speed sensor wire. It unlocks the solenoid whenever you are below, say, 5MPH. But you can just as easily wire it into the brake switch. Some people have even used a shift knob with the little red button on it to activate the solenoid.

There's a little myth going around here on the forums that a "GM coolant temperature sensor" plug will fit. Although it looks similar and plugs in, it won't lock into place, and won't make a connection. I found that out the hard way and said the hell with it.

It's not that hard to get it into reverse anyways. But don't ever try to valet your car, they'll never be able to find reverse. Then again, I still have the 5 speed shift knob on my car, so that might cause a problem too. haha.

Homer

I've heard of some people being able to cut back the harness a little bit for the reverse lights. Guess those are the T-45 people. The T-56 I bought came with the transmission harness. So what I did was cut off the pig tails for the reverse lights and the lock out solenoid. I soldered the reverse lights to my old harness. I wired the lock out solenoid to my brake switch, but I think the solenoid is shot. It gets power whenever I step on the brake, but I can get the transmission into reverse even without my foot on the brake. I tried to order that box you're talking about. GRC made it. But they were having trouble with it and pulled it off the shelves.

Users who are viewing this thread