t56 rebuild at 120,000 miles

BlackSnakeBlown

Established Member
T56 6 Speed Transmission Parts & Rebuild Kits

Alright my 3-4 assembly is shot. Synchronizers are toast and if i double clutch to find the gear its difficult to take it back out.

How does this rebuild kit + bearings and shims sound? Im not gonna make the power to need a 26 for a while. My friend has done 7 3650 rebuilds and i assume he will be able to help me piece this beast back together. What kind of specialty tools will we need?

Last edited:

jrgoffin

Been around...
Established Member
A lot of guys will generically assume that a sychronizer assembly is "shot" if the shifting is rough. It may be the case, but you also have to consider that it could be the clutch teeth on the gear itself. That kit looks fine, but it only contains the 1-2 & 3-4 slider, not any gears. I would get the box apart first and see what you need and go from there. In any case, the Gear Box has a good reputation...

P.S. This will help:

http://forums.corral.net/forums/svt-dohc/1209313-what-i-learned-rebuilding-t56-pics.html

As will this:

http://www.ttcautomotive.com/English/onlineorder/product.asp#Service Manuals

Last edited:

BlackSnakeBlown

Established Member
Well the reason i assume its the synchronizers is because at first only 4th went out and 3rd went out shortly after. If i ease the shifter without pressing in the clutch 3 and 4 will grind without even being in gear which i thought meant bad blocker rings which are in the sync assembly. At first 3 would only grind on th downshift but now it will do it all the time. What exactly are th clutch teeth you are talking about?

jrgoffin

Been around...
Established Member
It's not necessarily the "scynchronizer" as a whole - one of the weak parts of the T-56's are all the stamped steel keys inside each synchronizer hub. I'd be willing to bet that your problems started there.

The clutch teeth are on each gear and are similar looking to the teeth on the blocking rings - if they are torn up, the slider won't mesh as smoothly on to the gear and you can get the "cruching". In any case, I'd get the box open first and look for pieces of the keys (and possibly the shift fork pads) and go from there. You might just need small parts to do the job!

BlackSnakeBlown

Established Member
I appreciate all the help. It seems like youve dealt with these a few times before. Does the rebuild kit include those clutches you were talking about? Id really like to just freshen and strengthen everything up while its out because this is my only means of transportation. Ill keep whatever is still good lying around in a box.

jrgoffin

Been around...
Established Member
Looks like the rebuild kit has everything but the gears. The clutch teeth are part of the gears, but if they are fine, you'll have everything you need in the kit. You'll just have to get the box open and go from there!

Users who are viewing this thread