T56 problems, Please help!

SonicBeast

Established Member
T56 problems! Need help!

So I bought my car in January 2012 and it has been great. After a few weeks I noticed the clutch squeaking and shaking the rear end wheni started off in 1st. Only happened occasionally but it was annoying. I read other guys were having the same problem with the spec stage 3 clutch. Well on the 4th of July I gave her prolly 3/4 throttle in 1st and went to shift to second and it was stuck in 1st. By the time I stopped I had gotten it out but since then it's been terribly hard to get into and out of every gear. I'm thinking its the clutch because its not one specific gear like a bad synchro or shift fork would be. So I pulled the Trans. When I went to unbolt it I noticed it didn't have a cover over the clutch fork and cable assembly like the guy in the "how to" I used had on his car. Also the clutch cable is loose and has a lot of play in it. I have no idea if thats normal simce this is my first time pulling a trans. I took some pics that ill add when I get home to my laptop. Do you guys agree it is probably a bad clutch? Or could it have to do with a loose clutch cable. Throw out bearing possibly? Looks ok except the thin ring on the backside is bent a little but that could be from me taking it off. Any help would be appreciated. I only get 6 months a year to drive her so I wanna get her on the road again

SonicBeast

Established Member
I posted this in the drivline section also but im hoping to get a quicker answer here with the extra traffic. So I bought my car in January 2012 and it has been great. After a few weeks I noticed the clutch squeaking and shaking the rear end wheni started off in 1st. Only happened occasionally but it was annoying. I read other guys were having the same problem with the spec stage 3 clutch. Well on the 4th of July I gave her prolly 3/4 throttle in 1st and went to shift to second and it was stuck in 1st. By the time I stopped I had gotten it out but since then it's been terribly hard to get into and out of every gear. I'm thinking its the clutch because its not one specific gear like a bad synchro or shift fork would be. So I pulled the Trans. When I went to unbolt it I noticed it didn't have a cover over the clutch fork and cable assembly like the guy in the "how to" I used had on his car. Also the clutch cable is loose and has a lot of play in it. I have no idea if thats normal simce this is my first time pulling a trans. I took some pics that ill add when I get home to my laptop. Do you guys agree it is probably a bad clutch? Or could it have to do with a loose clutch cable. Throw out bearing possibly? Looks ok except the thin ring on the backside is bent a little but that could be from me taking it off. Any help would be appreciated. I only get 6 months a year to drive her so I wanna get her on the road again

Blueline

Established Member
Yes the cable should be snug, sounds like your cable may just be stretched. Do you have and adjustable quadrant or firewall adjuster?

SonicBeast

Established Member
Yes I have the firewall adjuster I beleive. There also was nothing on the cable on the backside of the clutch fork like the picture I saw. The cable goes thru and there was two nuts on the backside and that's it. Am I missing a piece? I can post the pics soon if its hard to understand.

10splaya22

Established Member
If your cable was loose when in neutral, when pressing the pedal down to shift it may not have disengaged the clutch all the way which would make it difficult to shift

SonicBeast

Established Member
I remember my first manual transmission.. :pepper:

Mustang Clutch Cable Quadrant Install Replace And Adjust (79-04) Review - YouTube

this is a how to for firewall adjusters etc.. it may not be 100% but atleast you get an idea of what is what beneath your feet.

thanks for posting this video, that helps me understand it much better. i took some pics of the fork and cable assembly to try and show you guys what im working with. as you can see there is no cover over the fork/cable assembly like ive seen on other people pictures. is that possibly because of an aftermarket clutch or did the previous owner just decide it wasnt necessary? also on other people pictures ive seen a U shaped piece of metal on the backside of the fork that the cable goes thru. my car doesnt have that. im thinking maybe that piece broke and fell off and thats why the cable was so loose? really kinda confused as to how this happened all of a sudden. anyways heres the pics. let me know what you guys think

08-01-13024_zpsf666c919.jpg

i also noticed the thin lip on the throwout bearing is bent a little bit
08-01-13028_zpsac00467d.jpg

im thinking i should pull the clutch off and make sure it looks ok since i have the trans out already. and also replace anything that you guys suggest i should freshen up while its out. (throwout and pilot bearing? etc)

Users who are viewing this thread