t56 install, and a new trick for the reverse solenoid!

Shifter

Established Member
I just installed a T56 into my 94 cobra. Installation is very basic and I have a few pics of "highlights" of things you need to modify.
#1. The crossmember has to be relocated back a few inches. I made my own mount, welded it in, and it works great. I utilized the stock crossmember with a GM "universal" trans mount.
#2. The FMS aluminum D/S needed to be shortened 1"
#3. The reverse lockout solenoid which prevents you from accidentally shifting from 4th into R (or down shifting from 6th into R) needs some attention. You can either wire an electrical switch to actuate it, or it has a STIFF spring in it that you can push past. For the later, you nearly need 2 hands on the shifter to overcome the spring pressure to shove it into reverse.
What I did was disassemble the solenoid and have a friend (that makes springs) make me one with 1/2 the pressure of the original. It was a GREAT fix! It is enough to block you from accidentally hitting R when shifting, but with one hand you can push the shifter into Reverse.
Here is a pic of the solenoid with both the stock spring (left) and the new spring (right)
P1000899.jpg

Just thought I'd share this with fellow Cobra owners. I've had TKO's, TKO 600's, T-5's, Gforce t-5, Astro A5's etc...this T56 is the cats ass in my book. It shifts great, has proven reliable, and has the basic gear ratios of my Gforce/A5's except the extra gear in between 4th and the final OD.

SVTCobra306

Established Member
Cool.. I love my T-56. I used an AJE crossmember to put it in, bolts in the stock location but I gotta get my H pipe fixed, it rubs. I was planning to go to lowe's to get a spring, if I can't find something I like is your buddy interested in selling oh, say, 5 of those springs? :)

Tabres

Not without incident
Established Member
I stumbled the same idea regarding a fix for the reverse lockout over on ModularFords severeal months ago. There they gave a specific part number for a spring that would swap right in. I wound up finding them at Ace Hardware for like $1.50.

Shifter

Established Member
Cool.. I love my T-56. I used an AJE crossmember to put it in, bolts in the stock location but I gotta get my H pipe fixed, it rubs. I was planning to go to lowe's to get a spring, if I can't find something I like is your buddy interested in selling oh, say, 5 of those springs? :)

I'm going to try and get a spring tester so I can get a "rating" on the spring. My friend custom makes them and gets me $10 ea. I've sold a few on the corral, not that I need a part time job, just to help people out.
I know that's a lot for a spring, but he's a machinist for a living and needs to pay for his time too. For me, I didn't care...it's a better mousetrap and cost less than the pigtail, a switch, and wiring would cost!

Iceman12

Established Member
does anyone know the rate of the stock spring.... i feel like lowes has more than one option, so it would make it much easier to know the original rate....

i had mine wired up to a button on the shifter for a long while, till i broke the shift knob when i did a clutch recently.... so, now i have a button on a wire sticking out from the center console and the stock shift knob back on, i would love a mechanical solution. :rolling:

94venomV8

Established Member
I have a switch in mine and i dont mind it at all. It cost me like $5 at autozone and I havent had any problems, plus it is hidden so it doesnt get in the way. I mean I use reverse barely ever so its no big deal for me.

Mustang4vSVT

4x4ing this mofo up!
Established Member
I stumbled the same idea regarding a fix for the reverse lockout over on ModularFords severeal months ago. There they gave a specific part number for a spring that would swap right in. I wound up finding them at Ace Hardware for like $1.50.

any idea what that part number was? my lockout keeps taking a shit and burning up my brake light wires so id rather do this! $1.50 fix....thatll be the best fix EVER haha.

Users who are viewing this thread