T56 hard to get into gear and flakes in trans fluid

96chargedcobra

Established Member
well guys, I think I may need to rebuild or replace my transmission. Lots of flakes in the fluid and really hard to get into gear. Do I fix it or upgrade? Buy used? I wasn’t really planning on having to fix the transmission.

01yellercobra

Established Member
What's the goal for your car? The metal flakes are a bad sign. But if you're going to keep it fairly stock I'm sure a stock type rebuild would've be bad. But if you're planning on big power I would look into a Magnum. Last time I looked into buildings a T-56 it was pretty close in price to a Magnum. And the Magnum is a better trans.

olympic

Established Member
If you can rebuild it yourself you can always tear it down and see what it needs first. Could be a cheap fix, could be very expensive. Next option would be a used replacement from a reputable source.

96chargedcobra

Established Member
That is what I am afraid of. I may be able to pick up a magnum for under $3000 new. I was told 6 hours labor to pull and replace. I’m looking at about 4,000 if I go that route. The other choice is a auto swap. Or do I cut ties and get something cheap and trade it?

96chargedcobra

Established Member
Just an update. The shop said having some flakes in the oil is normal. Being that it isn't grinding or popping out of gear and the clutch release is super high and it stinks they think just replacing the clutch will solve the problem. does anyone disagree?

01yellercobra

Established Member
Can't say I've had metal flakes in any of my manual transmissions when I drained the fluid. You might get lucky and only need a clutch, but I would keep an ear on things.

olympic

Established Member
Might be a good idea to have someone open the trans and look it over while it's out. Problem is finding someone who knows anything about T56 internals.

Users who are viewing this thread