T56 - Fluid Changes???

32V SVT

Established Member
Hey all, what do you all know about changing your Tranny fluid in a T56?
I mean what's the recommended interval, and are any of you using some type of a Synthetic based oil in place of the standard Dexron II ??? :dw:

Thx!

ChicagoMike

Modification Addict
Established Member
I use Royal Purple Synchromax. Made putting it into gear easier. I plan to change it every 1-2 years.

Others will tell you to use GM Synchromesh, but I think that has to be changed regularly as well (every year?)

Mike

mblgjr

Pay Attention Boy!
Established Member
^^^

What he said.

I basically plan on changing mine every 15k or so.

I also have several quarts for sale that I'd like to get rid of since my local place won't take it back.

tankerman1981

Established Member
well i changed mine at 25K and then again at 38k... at 25k was because i just bought the car with 22k and thought i would start fresh just to make sure and then again at 38 cause i was doing the clutch and since i had it on the lifts.. might as well change it all out again..

whi tri

Established Member
We'll I use amsoil and I usually have to change it about every 3 months or so depends on how long the trans works without problems. I did notice a big difference with the fluid thou.

32V SVT

Established Member
Changing it is easy... Just pull the drain plug on the side of the tranny... There's one at the bottom, and another towards the top that you use to refill it...

AngelOreo

Special
Established Member
ShelbyGuy said:
ttc doesnt recommend gm synchromesh for the t56, they only recommend dexronIII. fwiw.

these transmissions use a fiberous synchronizer thats been known to swell up if you put in the wrong trans fluid (eg., redline)

Ho wmuch truth in this? I have to redo my fluid and don;t want to mess crap up. I was going to use RP Synchromax

mystic04

Established Member
while at maple grove last week i spoke to a tremco tech he said to use gm syncromesh and not RP. to fill i think it was 4qt's plus a little. 8 pints the books says or till it begins to run out the fill hole on the side of the trans. that having the car level too .

phillySVT

Bang Bang
Established Member
It takes a Decron ATF only....said it on the drivers side of my transmission (from the factory) when Lou pulled it out to install my clutch.

ChicagoMike

Modification Addict
Established Member
Royal Purple Synchromax in my Cobra's T56 for a couple of years now, shifts smooth and no problems. It's for manual transmission that call for ATF, meaning, it's the correct fluid for our transmissions, it's just not Dexron III certified (saves RP money I suppose). But it made shifts smoother than stock and it is fully compatible with the rings and all.

Last edited:

SSSNAKE04

Established Member
RP, amsoil and GM syncromesh is all much better the regular DEX3..fluid....
I heard redline is the only one that is not that good for the t-56..it swells up the seals inside of the tranny makeing it hard to shift, but thats what i heard, no proof to this..

ChicagoMike

Modification Addict
Established Member
I know a few people that tried the redline and it made it harder to shift. They used the D4 ATF which is the only choice other than Redline MTL. I think both caused problems in the short-term and had to flush it out.

SSSNAKE04 said:
RP, amsoil and GM syncromesh is all much better the regular DEX3..fluid....
I heard redline is the only one that is not that good for the t-56..it swells up the seals inside of the tranny makeing it hard to shift, but thats what i heard, no proof to this..

Quick Strike

Established Member
GM synchromesh used here as recommended by Liberty Transmission when they rebuilt it last year.

Users who are viewing this thread