T56, clutch & flywheel on high hp cars!

mghoward74

Established Member
Hey guys

I just bought a used 03 t56 transmission and looking for some suggestions. I'm do the t5 to t56 swap and my question is pertaining to the clutch and internal mods to the trans.

I've read on here about guys doing a 26 spline input upgrade. I've also heard about doing a viper spec mainshaft upgrade also.

Car history:
93 coupe
410w
90mm throttle body
Crower shaft rockers
Crower lifters
Solid roller cam
AFR 225
Spider Vic Efi
120 lb injectors
Meizer water pump
Innovators west crank trigger
91mm garret turbo
B&G race series turbo kit
Bigstuff3

This combo will put down more than 1100 rwhp. I'm looking at buying an RXT clutch rated at 1100-1200hp. I'm interested in what upgrades you guys would do to the transmission. The car won't be taken to the dragster or roadracing. Just plenty of street driving. Magnums are put on hold for now because I got a pretty good decent deal on the trans & shifter.

I've heard alot of terminator guys putting down over 700 hp to the ground on 10 splines. Any other high hp guys with over 700 rwhp with 10 spline input shaft?

So basically....what trans & clutch upgrades are you guys doing? I've also heard aluminum flywheels are not the greatest with high hp cars. What's your experiences on this subject too.

Thanks

centerforce

Established Member
For how inexpensive it is, the 26-spline is a very worthwhile mod for the peace of mind.

If you intended use is primarily for the street, we would recommend a steel flywheel. Aluminum units will be better for acceleration, but requires higher revs to take off from a stop (more wear), and a can be a pain in start-stop conditions.

Lstruck03

Man Pedal User
Established Member
input and output shaft upgrades, a good rebuild kit with billet keys, bronze fork pads and shifter bushing and cross your fingers!

Users who are viewing this thread