T56 anti-venom mod

gmsux

Established Member
Those with T56 transmissions should give this a try. I installed it this A.M. and I really like how much easier the trans is to shift.

You remove the detent ball plug on the Pass side of the trans with a 15/16" hex, install two M20 copper oil plug o-rings and re-install. Done. The reduces the spring pressure from the detent ball onto the shift forks I believe. It will not change the characteristics of how each gear engages/disengages but, it makes shifting much nicer and lighter. :rockon:

gmsux

Established Member
Any parts store that has a selection of drain plugs and washers. Just needs to be large enough to fit over the plug.

01bluesnake

Established Member
Did this on a friends termi a while back, said it felt 100 times better to shift. I used 2 subi oil drain plug crush washers, as i get those for free from work.

Jomo1994z71

Can I get a KB WooWee!
Established Member
Did it a few weeks ago, love it
I used 2 of these
DSCF0227.jpg

gmsux

Established Member
I drove my Cobra around a bit last night and for $2 or less, this has to be one of the greatest mods for driver enjoyment period.

01yellercobra

Established Member
So the washers go between the ball and the plug or does the ball get removed completely?

cobracrow03

04 Cobra...T56 locking me out when shifting from 1st to 2nd and then into 3rd

I just bought an '04 Cobra Convertible and its practically brand new. Only has 30k on her. The problem I am getting is when I drive normally the tranny shifts from 1st into 2nd and then into 3rd just fine, but when I put it under stress and floor it and get the rpm's to around 5500 t0 6500 and go to shift from 1st to 2nd and especially from 2nd to 3rd it is extremely hard to engage the gear. It feels like its locking me out. Almost as if the synchronizers are screwed or something. The clutch feels brand new and the pedal is nice and firm. I am at a loss trying to figure out why this is happening and I don't particular want to spend hundreds of dollars on diagnostics just for the mechanics to scratch their heads and say they can't figure it out either. Has anyone else had this problem or something similar to it? I had an '03 before this with 63k on it and it never had this problem. Please help.....

MrCaliKrome

Established Member
I just bought an '04 Cobra Convertible and its practically brand new. Only has 30k on her. The problem I am getting is when I drive normally the tranny shifts from 1st into 2nd and then into 3rd just fine, but when I put it under stress and floor it and get the rpm's to around 5500 t0 6500 and go to shift from 1st to 2nd and especially from 2nd to 3rd it is extremely hard to engage the gear. It feels like its locking me out. Almost as if the synchronizers are screwed or something. The clutch feels brand new and the pedal is nice and firm. I am at a loss trying to figure out why this is happening and I don't particular want to spend hundreds of dollars on diagnostics just for the mechanics to scratch their heads and say they can't figure it out either. Has anyone else had this problem or something similar to it? I had an '03 before this with 63k on it and it never had this problem. Please help.....

Yes, same issue. In fact I have a firewall adjuster and although it has helped some, it hasn't fixed it all.

Going to try the anti-venom mod and also throw in a Steeda clutch quadrant to cover all bases.

blacksheep-1

Established Member
Yes, same issue. In fact I have a firewall adjuster and although it has helped some, it hasn't fixed it all.

Going to try the anti-venom mod and also throw in a Steeda clutch quadrant to cover all bases.

I have to tell you, I'm just not a big fan of aftermarket quadrants, I pretty much think they suck and wouldn't replace it unless the original took a complete dump..but , if you do, I'd recommend this one from UPR. The adjuster has a detent so it won't un-adjust and you can more or less duplicate the original quadrant with it.

9E9tnqkl.jpg

Last edited:

01yellercobra

Established Member
I have to tell you, I'm just not a big fan of aftermarket quadrants, I pretty much think they suck and wouldn't replace it unless the original took a complete dump..but , if you do, I'd recommend this one from UPR. The adjuster has a detent so it won't un-adjust and you can more or less duplicate the original quadrant with it.

9E9tnqkl.jpg

Just wondering but why do you think they suck? I've had Steeda and UPR quick release quadrants and I currently run a MM piece. The only issue I had was when I didn't use spacers to align the quadrant and cable. Other then that they've been fine. My clutch was easier to push with the aftermarket quadrant too.

MrCaliKrome

Established Member
I was really tired of driving a performance car for over a year that couldn't shift for sh#t :fm: and was going to leave no stone unturned. For that reason we also installed the Steeda double hook quadrant and put Royal Purple Synchormax in the trans and I already had the Billet Flow firewall adjuster to go on top of trying the Anti-Venom mod.

In hindsight, I wish I would have known about and tried the $3 Anti-Venom "washer" mod first to see if that would have solved the shifting issue before buying the other items.

I finally was able to get over to my friend Warren's shop Spot 28 and do the "Anti-Venom" mod because I wanted to do this on a lift instead of trying to do it with the car on jackstands.
20131119_1850371_zpsecb5153d.jpg

Warren, ended up using the tranny jack to drop the trans to make it easier to get to the detent bolt to add the two copper washers.
20131119_1658021_zps0b66f21b.jpg

http://s1289.photobucket.com/user/MrCaliKrome/media/T56%20Anti-Venom%20Mod/20131119_1656171_zpsc1219de9.jpg.html"]
20131119_1656171_zpsc1219de9.jpg
RL]
We measured the thickness of the two copper washers we were putting on the bolt:
20131119_1706421_zps3938eef4.jpg

20131119_1706541_zps684cabf7.jpg

Warren already had a bunch of these copper washers at the shop, so we measured to see if they were "M20" which it appears they were.
20131119_1706241_zpsa7b502b2.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread