T45 trans build?

dragracingfreak

Bowtie Killer
Established Member
This year it has been hard for me to hit 2nd in my car even with the n2mb box and shift light at 6500. Last year, (without n2mb box) I powershifted it quite a bit at 6500 and didn't miss very often at all. But right now it's a nightmare, I hit 3rd and 4th easy and the n2mb box works like a charm. And even when I get it to go in 2nd, it still grinds most of the time. I have a mgw shifter and that's what helped me shift so good last year, and now I can't buy a shift. Is it most likely syncros or shift forks, ik they are bad for those going bad. It's a 96 cobra with about 95000 miles. I've been looking to have it built instead of putting a t56 in because of what it cost to put one in. I could just spend the money on a t45 and a built one compared to a stock t56, plus it will all go right back together. I noticed that Zac at thet45source sold his stuff to proforceperformance. I believe that's the name. Have any of you all dealt with them?

Last edited:

ZeroDCX

Established Member
If the MGW was installed correctly, it has bumpstops to protect the shift forks from excess pressure via the shifter. More than likely your synchronizers are on their way out or it could be a combination of the two. Typically a bent shift fork would leave you stuck in gear though. Stock T45s don't enjoy abuse.

dragracingfreak

Bowtie Killer
Established Member
i installed the mgw last year and had very little problems, just the occasional missed shift, but could power shift none the less most of the time at 6500. I did think about turing the bumpstops back a half a turn just to see if that helps. and I didn't know if a bent shift fork would cause It to stay stuck in gear or not fully ingage into a gear, but it is 90% of the time a 2nd gear miss. maybe I shouldn't have powershifted it, lol.

Lightning LA

Mark it ZERO!
Established Member
I'm having the same trouble with my 97 Cobra, it's been doing it for a long time. But it's getting pretty bad now, anytime I try to shift from 1st to 2nd at higher RPM's it grinds like crazy until the PRM's go down & then it goes into gear. I've finally had enough & before it totally craps out on me I want to get my T-45 rebuilt, and I'm looking for the best shop to send it to...

dragracingfreak

Bowtie Killer
Established Member
That's exactly the same problem I have. Thet45source is no longer in business unfortunately. Proforceperformance took over his jobs I belive. But I'm gonna give rob embrey of embrey performance tomorrow. I was told he is the one that makes the billet shift forks for our cars and he can build them. May wanna check him out on Facebook.

1996MysticSnake

Established Member
Bob Hanlon at hanlon performance is a master with anything tremec. Did mine a few years ago 26 spline input, upgraded forks, syncros, etc

I beat the crap out of it never have any issues

Sent from my LG-VS985 using Tapatalk

Lightning LA

Mark it ZERO!
Established Member
I'd forgot about Hanlon Motorsports, I remember hearing good things about him. And he's pretty close to me, so I'm going to get in touch with him. I'm also going to get with Rob. And DragRacing let me know what Rob tells you..

Users who are viewing this thread