T45 grind on reverse

65svt

Established Member
Hi everyone,

Im running engine/trans from 96 cobra. Im having an issue with my T45 it grinds when I try to put it on reverse even if its on a complete stop and its also hard to go into all the gears and when it does go into gears its really hard, when its in gear it never comes out of gear, Ive checked oil(was ok) I adjusted my clutch cable(I've tryied both tight and loose but i get same result) The thing that I noticed was that while the car is rolling it will go into gears(1st,2nd,3rd,4th,5th) without any problems, so I raised the rear wheels and i noticed that when i try to go into 1st,2nd,3rd,4th,5th gear while pressing the clutch all the way the wheels start turning even though the gears are not completelly engaged and if the rear wheels are stopped I have trouble trying to go into gears. Anyone can tell me for sure If i have to rebuild the trans
sad.gif
or what else I can check to resolve this.

THANX

GRUSE

Established Member
I had similar symptoms with my T45 grinding in reverse and tough gear engagement. How old is your clutch?How stiff is your pedal?I blew my clutch up which was a blessing in disguise.Replaced the auto zone clutch the previous owner installed,with a lightly used OEM one and no more forcing gears or grinding.

DVJ38

One mod at a time
Established Member
This kind of sounds like a clutch problem to me. Maybe it isn't disengaging all the way.

65svt

Established Member
Gruse- the pedal is pretty hard seems normal to me, not sure how old the clutch is since thats how i bought both engine and tranny.. Im thinking i blew clutch since i was running it hard the instant i got car running and didnt have this issue.. Was i supposed to break in clutch even though it was a used clutch?

Dvj38- is there anything i can do to make sure clutch is disengaging other than adjusting clutch cable?

Thanx for ur help!!

GRUSE

Established Member
Gruse- the pedal is pretty hard seems normal to me, not sure how old the clutch is since thats how i bought both engine and tranny.. Im thinking i blew clutch since i was running it hard the instant i got car running and didnt have this issue.. Was i supposed to break in clutch even though it was a used clutch?

Thanx for ur help!! ����

It's always good to break in newly installed clutch used or new,some say 200 others say 500 miles of granny style stop and go driving.I had a very stiff pedal too with the old clutch,it was a lux auto zone special that thing sucked.Got my OEM off craigslist,pedal is so much easier now,not a workout to shift and no grinding.
Good luck

KCRN12

Established Member
How's the release bearing look? And is there any noise while the clutch pedal is depressed, or is it quiet? I know it grinds when shifting, but other that is there any noise with the clutch pedal just depressed and not shifting? It definitely sounds like a clutch issue.

65svt

Established Member
ill check the release bearing, no noise with pedal depressed. Is there anything I can check of the clutch before I take it apart?

THANX guys!

KCRN12

Established Member
ill check the release bearing, no noise with pedal depressed. Is there anything I can check of the clutch before I take it apart?

THANX guys!

Check for broken or bent fingers on the pressure plate. Probably would have made some noise, but it never hurts to check.

DVJ38

One mod at a time
Established Member
Dvj38- is there anything i can do to make sure clutch is disengaging other than adjusting clutch cable?

Thanx for ur help!!

I would put the rear tires up in the air (on Jack stands). Then start the car and put it in gear. With the clutch pressed in the tires shouldnt rotate at all. Have someone check for you.

Quick96Mystic

Mystiiiiic wowww
Established Member
Have you tried the ol' fourth and then reverse method?

while you're stopped, press clutch in (you have to hold it during the process), put trans in fourth gear then put it in reverse while.

see if that makes a difference

DVJ38

One mod at a time
Established Member
Have you tried the ol' fourth and then reverse method?

while you're stopped, press clutch in (you have to hold it during the process), put trans in fourth gear then put it in reverse while.

see if that makes a difference

Good call. Also give first or second a shot before hitting reverse.

65svt

Established Member
I think i have tried all gears before putting it on reverse, it doesnt grind on reverse as soon as it goes in on any of those gears first but i would have to force shifter to make it go in the gears not unless the car is rolling..

Thanx again guys for all ur help

65svt

Established Member
Do you guys think that a seized pilot bearing can cause the issue im having? Is there a way I can check to see if pilot bearing is not seized and it doing its job?

Users who are viewing this thread