T45 chirp/tap

haz-matt

Established Member
Not quite a cobra but none the less its a t45. My gt has 183k miles on it now, the transmission with unknown miles was installed with new clutch and to bearing in 2006 @ 110k miles, have had no issues at all. A few weeks ago I started noticing when Im going thru the gears especially 1st-3rd that its making a pretty bad chirping/tapping sound when Im leaning on the gas. When I have the clutch pushed in it does not make the noise no matter if im giving it gas or not. It does not appear to make this noise in reverse. The noise sounds like its coming from right underneath the gearshifter/tailhousing area. It doesnt sound like a bird chirp, its kind of a dryer chirp/tap. I got underneath the car and made sure there wasnt some sort of debris wrapped around the driveshaft tapping on the undercarriage, no mounts appeared to be loose, exhaust was tight, nothing hanging or dragging and no shiney spots where anything could be rubbing. Is this my TO bearing going bad? How about my front U-joint? The u joint didnt have any play that I could tell, but it is starting to get on up there in milage and its one of those non grease joint deals. Any light on the problem would be most appreciated!

haz-matt

Established Member
I also would like to add The chirping is irregular sounding, it doesn't seem to have any rythm or regular pattern. Almost as if something is loose and rattling/moving irregularly and squealing. Its most evident under load, isnt as audible when its up to cruising speed on flat ground.

QuickV8

▪█───────█▪
Established Member
my guess would be the throw out bearing. i just changed mine and a week later it does a real small chirp when i let off the clutch. when it first went bad, that thing was squeeling like crazy.

Users who are viewing this thread