t-top mustangs

kingcobra9450

Established Member
I saw a cheap t-top fox body on here earlier but no one jumped on it. I wanted to but then I figured having 3 cars while being a college student wasn't a good idea. Anyway is there a reason ppl don't like t-top fox bodies. They are pretty rare and I think they look pretty cool. So what is it, do they leak alot or something??

Sea Pony

Workin'! Woot!
Established Member
I have heard that leaks are an issue.

I have heard that they flex more, but I don't know from first hand experience.

falke401

Established Member
They leak and rattle. I will never own another car with t-tops. They are also a pain to get in and out.

BuckChoklit

Schooled by Satan
Established Member
The lack of an actual roof can have an affect on chassis stiffness at higher power levels. I've heard of cracked windshields and things of that nature.

kirks5oh

kirks5oh
Established Member
i like my t-topped '87 just fine. it does NOT leak.
badge nazi's beware

s3500002ip1.jpg

s3500001bz7.jpg

s3500003rh4.jpg

s3500004yj2.jpg

snakedoctor

Established Member
I have an 83 t-top and have no issues with it leaking. I think the main reason why people don't like them is the flexing issue. I also had a 89 IROC-Z with t-tops and loved it. Currently have 79 Trans am that I'm restoring with t-tops and can't wait to cruise around playing the bandit

Duende

Thomas @ AppOSL.com
Established Member
Hey, I think the t-tops are awesome, especially with a nice cage inside that you can show off with the tops stowed. Does away with that whole chassis nonsense also.

cobra_4

#PITS
Established Member
I've never been in a t-top ANYTHING that didn't leak. But personally I think they are bad. I'd love to have a t-top fox.

wvmystichrome

Established Member
Very nice car Kirk. She's beautiful.

I have owned a few t-topped cars over the years and never had a leak issue. I did read a few years ago that with the t-topped Mustangs you better get sub-frame connectors. If you launched hard to many times without them you can actually split the floor boards in the seat bolt area. I saw pics published in MM&FF. Thats why I got the sub-frames for my sun roofed car. The t-topped cars are nice though.

427Windsorman

Currently between Fords
Established Member
I have owned a few T-Top Mustangs, and never had any problems with them. Good quality SFC's (Global West competition versions, or equivalent) took care of any flex issues, and new weather seals to replace worn out ones prevented any leaks. You also need to practice care when removing, or putting the tops on the car. If you don't take care, you can damage the seals, and get a leak. I suspect that is the reason for most leaks people complained about over the years.

LowEtsRock

OK Guys, please help me. I have an '85 ttop car, love the look of the car and like riding in it. It leaked bad. The ttops were missing and had a friend give me a set. they fit fine. I replaced all of the weather stripping and belt molding with everything 5.0resto had to sell me. They still leak bad, it seems like the window wont push tight enough against the seals, is there something inside the door I can replace, or did I put the seals on wrong or something? The seams line up but when the glass hits it there is a small gap. should i pull it all apart and just try putting it back on another way, or start replacing other stuff?

ponygt65

Multi-Quotin' Fool
Established Member
Very nice Kirk.....IDK about the 'two badges'......but nice. ROFL

as for the leak comment.....my brother has had two t-top third gen camaro's...not a single leak in either.

ponygt65

Multi-Quotin' Fool
Established Member
I'm still looking for one.

I really want an 83 but will take a 84-86 T-top

In case you (or anyone else) is interested.

[ame=http://www.mach1registry.org/forums/showthread.php?t=92997]Early 84 GT T-Tops - 2003-04 Mach 1 Registry Owners Club[/ame]

Users who are viewing this thread