T-56

77triumph408

Established Member
The bellhousing and front plate IIRC...

Also the input/output shafts might be splined differently.

And I believe the Viper has beefier shafts in them.

countrysvt

Established Member
i wanted to know if they all work the same if you have a bell housing for your car i bought a trans but it came out of a camaro no bell housing! i was told they were ford then they said they got it out of a camaro.

thanks robbie

Nvr_Spds

Pushrod > 4v
Established Member
Lets see if i can remember the differences:
Input shafts are different between Cobra(10 Spline), Corvette, F-body and Viper. Even the input shafts are different from LS1 to LT1. Although, the Viper input can be machined to fit other apps. The T56 in our 00 has a viper input/main shaft in it.

Bells are different, but interchangeable for the most part, as i believe they all bolt up the same to the case.

Shifter mounting locations are different between F-bodys, GTOs and Cobras/Vipers.

The output shaft spline count are different between some of the different makes as well. I believe the stock f-body output is 28 spline, while the viper is 30.

Heres a dimension comparison:
t56dia.jpg

Last edited:

77triumph408

Established Member
I believe the plate on the front of the transmission (the one with the input shaft bearing/seal) is different between the models as well. Meaning you cant bolt a cobra bellhousing on a f car trans.

Users who are viewing this thread