T-56 sliding in 2nd gear when High RPM shift to 4th

Bigggy

Established Member
Hi guys,
So last year a I changed my clutch for an Exedy Mach500. Had a vibration problem after the breaking, pull the tranny a second time and changed the fork and pivot ball (McLeod). Didn't really had any chance to do high RPM shift into 4th since but yesterday it was the third time and third time that it felt kinda weird when going into 4th...cause it actually got in second gear. I didn't money shift the hell out of it cause I knew there was something wrong even if it didn't grind. It slip in 2nd pretty easy even if I can feel it, it does not grind. Low RPM shift in 4th are flawless. Yesterday I was going at the track actually, but obviously didn't ran the car in fear of money shifting at the end of the track.

I didn't adjust the pivot ball, its pretty much like OEM.

When I say high rpm I'm referring to 5k and higher.

Any advise why this could happen.

mp23

Established Member
Im not seeing how the pivot ball would do anything? are you talking about the pivot ball that the fork rides on or the ball at the bottom of the shifter?

Riddick

MERICA
Established Member
I have done this before and its not a good feeling when you release the clutch. I dont think there is anything wrong with your car you just need to modify how you shift. I actually turn my palm away from me when I shift into 4th and I have yet to miss 4th. When I grab the shifter on the top or right I tend to pull towards myself causing it to go into second. With your palm facing away its harder to pull the shifter towards you.

Bigggy

Established Member
Im not seeing how the pivot ball would do anything? are you talking about the pivot ball that the fork rides on or the ball at the bottom of the shifter?

Ball of the fork, I have the same thinking, It should only drag the clutch if its not adjusted properly.

I have done this before and its not a good feeling when you release the clutch. I dont think there is anything wrong with your car you just need to modify how you shift. I actually turn my palm away from me when I shift into 4th and I have yet to miss 4th. When I grab the shifter on the top or right I tend to pull towards myself causing it to go into second. With your palm facing away its harder to pull the shifter towards you.

The things is, I've done about 10 passes on the strip last year with the stock clutch (cadrant, FW, TOB..etc..all stock minus the shifter handle) and it never felt like that before, never ever gone into 2nd gear when going to 4th. It seemed easier going to second than going into 4th..should be the opposite. Tonight I'm taken the car out for a meet, I'll try your trick to see if it changes anything (gonna be carefull with the clutch lol).

mhinchley

Established Member
I have mis shifted many times myself. Honestly.......the exact reason I am installing a 4r70w right now. I don't trust myself to truly power shift and prevents the car from running to it's potential.

Bigggy

Established Member
Tried the palm facing the passenger and it seemed better, got in 4th and not in 2nd but I was not into it very much, my GF was trying to study in the passenger seat..

Will eventually try it with more throttle.

Riddick

MERICA
Established Member
You just have to find a method and keep practicing. With these aftermarket shifters the shift gates are extremely close and its easy to miss a gear. If this way feels uncomfortable for you go back to your old method but ensure you are pulling straight back. As I mentioned earlier when you are trying to make a quick shift sometimes you pull back and towards yourself rather than straight back. I am not sure how the MGW is but some shifters require you to literally lean over to grab the shifter (so far away). This could also be causing you to pull back towards yourself.

Bigggy

Established Member
You just have to find a method and keep practicing. With these aftermarket shifters the shift gates are extremely close and its easy to miss a gear. If this way feels uncomfortable for you go back to your old method but ensure you are pulling straight back. As I mentioned earlier when you are trying to make a quick shift sometimes you pull back and towards yourself rather than straight back. I am not sure how the MGW is but some shifters require you to literally lean over to grab the shifter (so far away). This could also be causing you to pull back towards yourself.

Thanks for the advices! Yeah even if i'm right at 6' tall with long monkey arms I still need to lean a bit to reach the shifter from 3rd gear. I will eventually order a new handle for the MGW so it would sit closer to the driver.

Riddick

MERICA
Established Member
Thanks for the advices! Yeah even if i'm right at 6' tall with long monkey arms I still need to lean a bit to reach the shifter from 3rd gear. I will eventually order a new handle for the MGW so it would sit closer to the driver.

Im 5'11" myself and had to lean over as well. I have the 5.0 shifter and when I would hit third gear sometimes my knuckles would touch the radio. Someone on here made a template to to make a bracket to relocate the handle back a couple of inches. This made a world of difference in my car. Unfortunately, I dont think you can do the same thing with a MGW. However, you do have the option to purchase different shifter handles. One thing Ford messed up on these cars was the shifter location!!

Shadow Grey 03

Established Member
Im 5'11" myself and had to lean over as well. I have the 5.0 shifter and when I would hit third gear sometimes my knuckles would touch the radio. Someone on here made a template to to make a bracket to relocate the handle back a couple of inches. This made a world of difference in my car. Unfortunately, I dont think you can do the same thing with a MGW. However, you do have the option to purchase different shifter handles. One thing Ford messed up on these cars was the shifter location!!

Easy fix. don't wrap your fingers around the knob. put your palm in the back of the handle and push it up. no more battered knuckles.

Bigggy

Established Member

Yup not possible with the MGW. But they now sell new designs of handle, 3 new actually. They have different length and curve so you can have the shifter position you want, I think it will be my next purchase.

Users who are viewing this thread