T-56 rebuild

mustangman36578

Established Member
I will be rebuilding my T-56 this winter (hopefully not sooner) right now sometimes at idle i have to double clutch it to get it in first and when going down the track something just doesnt feel "the same" which gives me the feeling its on its way out. It is a stock T-56 and i drive the crap out of it at the track with 6,000RPM drops and power shifting all the way down the track so i knew this would need some attentioin eventually. so far my parts list/upgrades will include: 26 spline input, carbon fibre syncros, bronze fork pads 1-6, billet inserts, billet guide tube, and all new bearings and seals. possibly some gears too depending on condition of them. i will also upgrade to a mcleod twin disk RST or RXT (not sure which i want to do yet).

I am thinking of doing the viper 30 tooth output shaft upgrade. Has anyone done this when they got theirs rebuilt? also how much power is the 27 spline cobra output shaft good up till? also is there anything else that i missed that should be upgraded as well? i work only a couple miles away from D and D in Wixom, mi so I will be getting all my parts from them.

Last edited:

snakeraper11b

Established Member
I will be rebuilding my T-56 this winter (hopefully not sooner) right now sometimes at idle i have to double clutch it to get it in first and when going down the track something just doesnt feel "the same" which gives me the feeling its on its way out. It is a stock T-56 and i drive the crap out of it at the track with 6,000RPM drops and power shifting all the way down the track so i knew this would need some attentioin eventually. so far my parts list/upgrades will include: 26 spline input, carbon fibre syncros, bronze fork pads 1-6, billet inserts, billet guide tube, and all new bearings and seals. possibly some gears too depending on condition of them. i will also upgrade to a mcleod twin disk RST or RXT (not sure which i want to do yet).

I am thinking of doing the viper 30 tooth output shaft upgrade. Has anyone done this when they got theirs rebuilt? also how much power is the 27 spline cobra output shaft good up till? also is there anything else that i missed that should be upgraded as well? i work only a couple miles away from D and D in Wixom, mi so I will be getting all my parts from them.

Youll need to upgrade the steel 3-4 fork.

The RXT clutch will suit you best as the RST isn't designed for drag racing and clutch dumps.

The 30 spline mainshaft offers a substantial strength increase, but there is other options. If you dont mind changing ratios, Jason at texas drivetrain performance just built me a SICK set up. Call him and ask about the custom mustang T56 he just built.

snakeraper11b

Established Member
Cobra T56 has a steel 3-4 fork.

You are correct, the cobras do come with it. Thats what I get for thinking all t56's are the same. My trans has GM internals from a z06, thats why I upgraded to the steel fork. Looks like youre all set then:rolling:

Users who are viewing this thread