T-56 Magnum Swap in an 01 Cobra

Cobertible01

Established Member
Hi guys, I have recently undertook the magnum T-56 swap in my car and had a bit of a problem I ran into and was wondering if anyone else has encountered this during the install? After getting the new Magnum up into place and trying to install the 03/04 tranny mount, I ran into a clearance issue between the top of the shifter housing on the transmission and the bottom of the floor pan. I ended up just persuading the floor pan to move up. I have searched and found no one having any clearance issues.

01yellercobra

Established Member
I swapped in the 03/04 unit. I didn't have any clearance problems. Is the shifter in the proper position on the tranny?

98 Saleen Cobra

Established Member
Yea I had to do some clearance to the tunnel as well. I had to modify the trans mounts as well.. This is coming for a T45 to the Mag..

Cobertible01

Established Member
The shifter is in the rear most location on the Magnum and does come up through the floor in the right spot, it just runs into the floor up near the front of the shifter housing. I am thinking of putting like a 1/4" spacer between the tranny mount and the car, just to keep it off the tunnel a bit or does that sound like a bad idea.

98 Saleen Cobra

Established Member
I just used a BFH lol.. I wouldn't do it the way that you described though.. Sounds it it wouldn't like up right on the clutch and stuff.

speedfreak94

Established Member
Cobertible, I'm not sure if your car has the T-45 for TR-3650 (can't recall if Cobras were ever part of that mid-year change in '01), but in either case the Magnum has a higher 'shift turret' to give it that 'reversible' feature. The front two shifter bolts were tight in my TKO to Magnum swap as well, but a little prying from up top easily solved that issue.

Users who are viewing this thread