T-56 fluid requirement and type?

KingSnakePro

Established Member
How many quarts of fluid does the t-56 take?

What brand of fluid are you guys running? I heard the new thing to use is Castrol Syntorque (sp?)...right from Liberty Transmissions.

Just wanted to get some other insight.... THanks! :thumbsup:

ChicagoMike

Modification Addict
Established Member
I second that.

badboy said:
4 quarts of Royal Purple Synchromax.

The castrol is for the Viper-spec T56. I believe it runs at higher temps, so it will take much longer for the Castrol to warm up; you'll have hard shifting problems till the trans gets to temp. Viper users have also upgraded to RP Synchromax because it makes shifting smoother. I suggest you do the same, or go the complicated synchromesh route which does not meet our spec, but the RP does because it's a manual trans fluid where ATF is called for.

Last edited:

Chris_H

kcuS uoY
Established Member
Drained my tranny and added the GM Syncromesh and it took about 3.75 quarts or so. Tranny feels a lot better than it did with teh stock fluid in it. I also run the GM Syncromesh in my Tremec 3550 in my LX.

mblgjr

Pay Attention Boy!
Established Member
OrangeSvtCobra said:
How do you change your tranny fluid?

There are 2 pipe plugs, the drain is on the passenger side, towards the rear, it will drain onto the converter, unless you use a shield. a 3/8 ratchet fits.

The fill, is higher up on the driver's side.

Takes about 4 quarts. You will need a hand pump, Vavlvoline makes one that fits on a quart bottle. Got mine from Napa.

I would also suggest warming the trans up before you dump it, but be sure not to burn yourself working around the exhaust.

Fuerza

Established Member
mblgjr said:
There are 2 pipe plugs, the drain is on the passenger side, towards the rear, it will drain onto the converter, unless you use a shield. a 3/8 ratchet fits.

The fill, is higher up on the driver's side.

Takes about 4 quarts. You will need a hand pump, Vavlvoline makes one that fits on a quart bottle. Got mine from Napa.

I would also suggest warming the trans up before you dump it, but be sure not to burn yourself working around the exhaust.

What else is involved with changing your tranny fluid? Just drain the old and add the new?

Last edited:

Snkbite03

Established Member
Antex said:
GM Syncromesh with a bottle of Ford Friction Modifier..

Is that better to use than just straight GM Syncromesh? I'm looking to change my tranny fluid when I get back to the states. So, just looking for a good mix or what not to put in.

Antex

quantum entanglement
Established Member
Snkbite03 said:
Is that better to use than just straight GM Syncromesh? I'm looking to change my tranny fluid when I get back to the states. So, just looking for a good mix or what not to put in.

That's what Rick@Amazon along with several others recommended - along with one of my buddies who's a mechanic at a Ford Dealership...

Chris_H

kcuS uoY
Established Member
OrangeSvtCobra said:
anybody??
Yeah just open the drain plug and let the old tranny fluid drain out. If you have the tranny out of the car already, then just tip the tranny over to make sure you get all the old fluid out. Another way to fill up the tranny, making it easier than the fill plug is to take the shifter off and fill the tranny up through the shifter. Makes things a lot easier.

Chris

mblgjr

Pay Attention Boy!
Established Member
OrangeSvtCobra said:
anybody??

Yes, you just pull the plug, dump, replace plug, remove fill plug, replace with about 4 qts, or until at lower edge, replace plug.

Make sure the car is level as best you can.

If you have the pump I previously mentioned, its not worth taking the shifter out, to me its quicker/easier to do it under the car.

I use Delco Dexron III/Mercon, works great. I just use it because its what I can get at wholesale. I tried some form of the Castrol and couldn't tell any difference.

ChicagoMike

Modification Addict
Established Member
It's my understanding that GM Synchromesh has a shorter life than our recommend Dexron III ATF. I would see what the change intervals are on late model F-bodies with the T56, that would let you know for sure.

Users who are viewing this thread