T-45 is gone. NEED SOME HELP!!

bmxr152

SvT 4 LiFE
Established Member
So my crappy t-45 tranny is done. no 4th gear, barely goes into third and is one and 8 chance going onto reverse! So i got about $1200. What do you guys think i should do?

Midnight_Cobra

It's an Atomic Serpent!
Established Member
Honestly T56, but it may be more expensive now, but it will be cheaper in the long run. You might be able to find a used T45 until you can afford a better tranny.

jlg32281

Established Member
T56, don't consider anything else. There's a shop in Dallas that sells a reman T56 for $1200 or so. That probably doesn't include a core charge, so you would have to find out how much they will give you for the core T45. I think you can do it for under 2k easy, but $1200 is a little low. If you don't have any other type of funds, then rebuild it, but if you can come up with a little more, definitely go T56.

The Dallas shop sells through ebay as well, call them, you might be able to negotiate a little bit lower price. This is a link to the ebay add:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/T56-...019QQitemZ290219366128QQrdZ1QQsspagenameZWDVW

Keep us posted.

WaffleGT

FNFSTSVT
Established Member
This has been beat to death lately. You'll find some on here who will recommend the T56, and then you'll find those of us who actually care how our cars perform n/a that will say rebuild the T45 with better parts. Go here http://www.promotionpowertrain.com/1231590.html and look at the 750hp T45.

95% of ALL tranny problems are driver related:dw: and then the driver blames the crappy tranny:shrug: Build it right, treat it right and it will never let you down:rockon:

uofipilot

Established Member
95% of ALL tranny problems are driver related:dw: and then the driver blames the crappy tranny:shrug: Build it right, treat it right and it will never let you down:rockon:

Sure, it will never let you down, but if you want to beat on it and powershift, you're gonna need something really beefy. I still have the stock t45 in mine and have zero issues, but i dont powershift it ever. If you drive it like a pansy, then it will never let you down. If you drive it like you stole it, the t45 isn't gonna last.

bmxr152

SvT 4 LiFE
Established Member
Yeah i would love to have the t56 but i dont have enough for that. I was thinking a freshly rebuilt t45 with frpp aluminum driveshaft and a MGW short shifter. What do you guys think?

Ciotti

See-ahh-tee
Established Member
This has been beat to death lately. You'll find some on here who will recommend the T56, and then you'll find those of us who actually care how our cars perform n/a that will say rebuild the T45 with better parts. Go here http://www.promotionpowertrain.com/1231590.html and look at the 750hp T45.

I don't know about all that man, it's more like you'll find people that drive their SN-95 on more than just the drag strip that will recommend a T-56 and then you'll find people that either can't afford a T-56 or only care about what they run at the track that will try their best to shine up their T45 turd.

I had my T45 rebuilt last year with all the parts that come in the Hanlon kit and it only lasted 3 and a half months of hard use before it started grinding 2nd and then in another month it was grinding 3rd, then a few months later it started jamming in between 1 and 3 on hard shifts and popping out of third unless I bash it into gear.

The moral of the story, don't waste a dime on your T45 because it WILL break again.

elcobrita

Established Member
so then a t-56 is the best tranny for a high performance engine? anyone know the how much hp and tq it can take

WaffleGT

FNFSTSVT
Established Member
Yeah i would love to have the t56 but i dont have enough for that

The don't treat your stock T-45 like a built T-56. Wait till you have the funds to do it right, get the pro-motion and beat the hell outta it and never look back:banana:

Stavesacre21

Thinkin 4th Dimensionally
Established Member
i know your not gonna like it man, but find the extra $1K or so for a 56 swap. You'll find yourself in the same spot in another year, 2 tops if you drive your cobra hard. The 45 just can't take what it was even designed for. It's a joke.

I REALLY wish i had on either OR both of my Cobra's when the tranny needed replaced. Think it through LONG and hard before you jump back into another 45. Although you may not have the money now, in the long run you'll find it's a better investment.

Ciotti

See-ahh-tee
Established Member
so then a t-56 is the best tranny for a high performance engine? anyone know the how much hp and tq it can take?

Gobs, there are turbo Terminator guys putting 4 digit horsepower numbers through their T-56's with no problem at all.

One of the best things about the T-56 is that they can actually be powershifted and even when you beat on them they won't fall apart like a T-45.

Last edited:

davidj5491

Established Member
I've been powershifting my stock T45 for over 4 years now without breaking it. The car has been my DD too. It's handled 7k launches on slicks, 7k powershifts, and plenty of other thrashing during the day before going to the track. I'll stick with what has worked well for me.

Users who are viewing this thread