Synchromesh M/T Fluid

65x2

Resident Hippie
Established Member
Pennzoil and Royal Purple both manufacture a Syncho(mesh/max) fluid. Anyone have any luck with these? I have a lil Acura CL with a 5 speed thats become a bit tough to downshift into fourth, but shifts into it fine. Sometimes fifth gives me a bit of trouble as well. Hoping something along these lines may give me a few more miles out of it.

Pennzoil

Royal Purple

Also looks like Amsoil has one as well

Amsoil

Any thoughts or experience with any of the above?

After though: Transmission calls for Honda MTF or 10w30 or 10w40 as a temporary.
I'm off for a day and would like to change it out before going back to work. But the dealerships are also closed. Any thoughts on what my best option to toss in is?

Last edited:

oem

Custom User Title
Established Member
I used the RP Syncromax, it does what it should I guess? It drives the same as it always has... it wont fix your trans though.

65x2

Resident Hippie
Established Member
See I've read about it helping with hard shifts. And it was put into my cobras trans before I purchased it. Which eliminated a grinding issue. Ultimately it may not fix it but it wont hurt to try. This is the RP stuff that is. I've also read that GM synchomesh friction modified has aided in similar hard shift issues. Just looking for any advice and reasoning why. Looking to understand a bit more is all.

Sent from my MB860 using Tapatalk 2

UnleashedBeast

Engine Lubrication Guru
Established Member
Also looks like Amsoil has one as well

Amsoil Synchromesh

This lubricant is formulated with 100% synthetic base stocks, has an excellent additive package, and will allow for better shifting in your Acura Transmission. The extra efforts required to downshift should be reduced, if not eliminated. You will also experience better cold weather/cold start shifting, as this lubricant will thicken less as it cools compared to petroleum based products.

We've used this lubricant in the past to repair the dreaded Getrag grind in the 2011+ Mustang GTs.

65x2

Resident Hippie
Established Member
This lubricant is formulated with 100% synthetic base stocks, has an excellent additive package, and will allow for better shifting in your Acura Transmission. The extra efforts required to downshift should be reduced, if not eliminated. You will also experience better cold weather/cold start shifting, as this lubricant will thicken less as it cools compared to petroleum based products.

We've used this lubricant in the past to repair the dreaded Getrag grind in the 2011+ Mustang GTs.

Thank you! I'll give this is a go and see what it changes.

03dsgdreams

Established Member
I want to run amsoil synchromesh in my MT-82 but its not listed as an approved replacement for my stock fluid, then again either is my engine oil. Should I Run it anyway? I want to switch everything out to amsoil.

UnleashedBeast

Engine Lubrication Guru
Established Member
I want to run amsoil synchromesh in my MT-82 but its not listed as an approved replacement for my stock fluid, then again either is my engine oil. Should I Run it anyway? I want to switch everything out to amsoil.

It's been used with success in the MT-82 here in the south.

MTG showed signs of cold start grinding. MTF Synchromesh is a lot more forgiving while still providing better viscosity protection than Ford's Dual Clutch TSB fluid.

Last edited:

UnleashedBeast

Engine Lubrication Guru
Established Member
Synchomesh works great in tremecs, but it turns to water after 15k or so. Change often.

You must be using cheaper GM or Pennzoil.

Amsoil Synchromesh on the severe service schedule will easily achieve 50,000 miles before a change is required. Another reason to not skimp and buy the real deal the first time.

Last edited:

SVTDice

Established Member
Hey UB, I know they say 50,000 Miles but alot of guys are very hard on there cars. I'm pretty much in the habbit of changing out the transmission fluid every 2-3 years...Regardless of mileage. So how well does he Amsoil ATF hold up against time and not so much miles? I mean because my car is probably seeing anywhere from 3-5k a year. So a 10 year planned change is something that I don't plan on going with. Maybe you can chim in.

UnleashedBeast

Engine Lubrication Guru
Established Member
Hey UB, I know they say 50,000 Miles but alot of guys are very hard on there cars. I'm pretty much in the habbit of changing out the transmission fluid every 2-3 years...Regardless of mileage. So how well does he Amsoil ATF hold up against time and not so much miles? I mean because my car is probably seeing anywhere from 3-5k a year. So a 10 year planned change is something that I don't plan on going with. Maybe you can chim in.

50,000 miles is the harsh "severe service" schedule. Normal interval use is 100,000 miles.

I also agree with your comments about time interval changing. Using a true synthetic, every 5 years isn't a bad idea, even though you would not have exceeded the mileage interval. It's cheap insurance, but changed any sooner than this is overkill. Amsoil ATF will go far longer, as it's as good as ATF gets.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread