Symptons head gasket leak...

Rob04Lightning

Established Member
What are the symptons on a head gasket leak? i noticed that im leaking from the rear of the valve covers (both sides)....and i have minimum oil on the dipstick....any help i would appreciate Thanks

lowandslow

Established Member
Whe mine went there was no doubt, A. I was at the track and everyone saw it puff out the exaust. B. Anti-freeze was everywhere under the hood, under the truck, and down the drivers side.
I think I have read that there were some years that had a head gasket seepage problem but I thought it as the earlier models.

throttle jockey

Stock Block 11 Sec. Club
Established Member
Whe mine went there was no doubt, A. I was at the track and everyone saw it puff out the exaust. B. Anti-freeze was everywhere under the hood, under the truck, and down the drivers side.
I think I have read that there were some years that had a head gasket seepage problem but I thought it as the earlier models.

The weepage "mod" victimized several makes, models and years of Ford vehicles IIRC. I was fortunate enough that it found me :bored:. Typically the weepage occurs on the passenger side head, lower corner nearest the fire wall. Under high RPM the oil is forced past the gasket and drips on the manifold. On the driver side it typically happens on the front, upper corner of the head nearest the radiator but usually goes undetected since the oil is caught in the timing chain cover.

Rob04Lightning

Established Member
i noticed it was coming right out from under the head where it bolts to the block.........all the way down both sides...it wasnt running either just a wet look on the block...i changed the oil today and took it for a test drive... came back home open the hood and i smelled burned oil! i really hope its not the head gaskets! i opened the oil cap and it looked normal...

Tibbys96Z

Soulless 7
Established Member
i noticed it was coming right out from under the head where it bolts to the block.........all the way down both sides...it wasnt running either just a wet look on the block...i changed the oil today and took it for a test drive... came back home open the hood and i smelled burned oil! i really hope its not the head gaskets! i opened the oil cap and it looked normal...

Where did you see this? I'd like to know where you can see the head where it bolts to the block??
I currently have an oil leak that is coming from somewhere on the back passanger side. I can't tell whether it is a valve cover or head gasket. I don't see how you could tell without pulling the head off??

Lightning_Ernie

Established Member
i discovered yesterday that my 01 is doing the same thing....mines leakin on the passenger side far back on the head....have some gunk built up on top of the starter but not too bad....i wanted to go to the track tomorrow night but i probably wont now if that leak is bad

Tibbys96Z

Soulless 7
Established Member
I was told that this type of leak was pretty typical for a Lightning. Everyone said it really wasn't that big of a deal.
Any oil leaking outside an engine isn't normal to me. I went ahead and traded mine in on a TBSS.

Taunto

Established Member
Just go into a shop and ask for a hydrocrabron test...thats the easist/quickest way to tell for sure if its leaking.. sometimes it will leak inwards not outwards. so u cant see the coolant leaking. but its just going into ur cylinders and getting burned off...keep an eye on ur coolant level as well.. see if u start to loose alot of coolant or not

Users who are viewing this thread