switching to race gas. How much timing?

blackvette101

Established Member
Hey guys I've decided to switch my car over to race gas 103 unleaded/nonoxygenated. I was planning on doing it with the whipple but I decided to do it now and enjoy the extra power for a little while (hopefully I can crack 600 rwhp). Right now the car is ported stock blower @ 15 psi with 15% overdrive lower and 2.5'' upper. It made 15 psi in 97 degree weather so i'm thinking in the 50-60 degree winter weather here it will be 16 or 17 psi. My current timing is 20* how much more do you think I can add with an extra 10 octane points. I've searched and some have said take it to 24 or 26* so what do you guys think? My car is lund tuned so I will differ to their judgement I'm just wondering what the forum thinks. The car has a full cooling system upgrade (Shelby heat exchanger the bigger one they make, 170 degree thermostat, intercooler capacity increased to almost two gallons, 2013 intercooler pump) and saw a highest IAT2 reading of 135* with three back to back dyno pulls in 97 degree weather.

And does anybody have a rough idea about how much hp increase you usually see with each additional degree of timing on a stock blower car. I know on the LSx's it was roughly 2-4 rwhp per degree.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread