switching power adder camps

Poisoned Pony

The Mach that Rocks
Established Member
no more bottle, time for Vortech! I finally decided to bolt a s-trim to my 106k old stock motor. Insane? You bet I am! So, outside of the standard S-trim kit, what else should I get? Fuel pump? Injectors? Here's what I run now:
- Steeda pullies
- C&L 80mm MAF
- custom CAI
- BBK o/r H-pipe
- 2-chamber Flows
- 4.30 gears

I still have my stock pullies, switch back to them during the swap? This is gonna be my first s/c Mustang :-D I can't wait :burnout:

Booyah

Cantankerously Blunt
Established Member
Yes, switch back to your stock pullies. If you buy the kit from Vortech you won't need to buy anything extra. Only other thing I would recommend is to have a safe tune for that many miles on those pistons. Might want to stick with the tune that is on the chip that comes with the kit, it's very conservative.

Last edited:

Alex_96Cobra

Cant Sleep-Clown'l eat me
Established Member
Isnt a 4.30 gonna be a little steep for a blower car? Might wanna run ET streets 24/7 and beef up to a 31 spline rear if you havent already. JMHO :)

Alex

SNK BITN

Established Member
How much boost you wanna run? I see a lot of Vortechs running the AFM power pipe to get more boost, might wanna look into that. Fuel is the key! Consider larger injectors, MAF, rails and lines. Upgrade the fuel pump for sure if you haven't already. Lastly tune, tune, tune that thing. Good luck, that thing is gonna be a beast! You gonna install it yourself?

Poisoned Pony

The Mach that Rocks
Established Member
I'm going to try and get some free time at school to use the lift and tools for the install. I have a 255lph in tank right now from when I ran nitrous. So I up my injectors to 42's and get my MAF re-calibrated? I plan on sticking with the stock pulley til I find another motor, rebuild it and pop that one in.

GR8WHITE

The BIG FISH
Established Member
You won't need injectors that large unless you're planing on running ALOT of boost. The stock ones will do well on 8 PSI. You can add an adjustable fuel pressure regulator to help prevent leaning out. Although the FMU should prevent that, you can still add a touch of fuel pressure with the FPR for safety.

cobra331

Established Member
You won't need 42's or the rails, that 255 and the T-Rex that comes with the kit are plenty. but, if you up the boost later, rails and bigger lines are definitely a good idea. I'm putting an 8 pounder on my 150,000 mile 95 302!!! I figured i might as well use up the motor completely before getting a new one!!! then it's a 331 w/185 AFRs!!! Can't wait!! I'll be beating on this motor on purpose just so I can get my new one!!:kaboom:

Last edited:

Peter

Established Member
I just went to 42 lb injectors and I am using the stock pulley on an S-trim Vortech with Anderson power pipe I am getting 10-11Lbs of boost. Go with the biggest injector that also gives the best idle, Over 450 rwhp on forced air calls for 42 pounders.
I am going to dyno again next week.

-Stock Long block
-Vortech S-Trim
-MSD4
-BBK Long Tubes
-H-pipe
-Anderson Power Pipe
-MAC Cat Back
-80MM Pro-M
-SHM Chip
-4.10 Gears
-473 Rwhp

Bri'sMystic965

Established Member
Gr8White has a good point regarding the adjustable fuel pressure regulator.

Considering the age of your engine, I wouldn't recommend tweaking any more boost than the stock pulley puts out. Also, if you plan on using the FMU and stock injectors, I would scrap the C&L as well. Your going to end up running too lean with the aftermarket mass air meter.

The only other advice that I can offer is to be financially prepared for the eventualities of owning a blown combo.

Good luck,
Brian

Users who are viewing this thread