Switching Mach 460 factory head units

Venomizd

Established Member
Im about to switch my stock MACH 460 Premium electronic AM/FM stereo cassette and CD Player which is a two peice unit to the newer Mach 460 AM/FM stereo with an in-dash 6-disc .

The reason for the swap is to get away from having two units in the car. The way it's set up now with the two units is a real pain trying to get CD's in as the CD unit sits so dam low behind the shifter. I also have no use for the cassette player in the top unit.

I like the fact that I can have 6 CD's in the new unit and it looks
much cleaner. I got the new unit at a great price so unless doing the swap is complicated and costly then its a done deal.

Im wondering if anyone has done this and what is involved. I've read that the newer unit also have a built in amp where the old set up has the amp under the front of the dash.
I know I would need to change the center trim panel and also order the 3 toggle swithes for the trim pannel. Is there something else I should know before I start this job.

Here is the new unit setup.
2001dash-vi.jpg

i1-vi.jpg

Here is the two units that need to be removed

19992-vi.jpg

1999-vi.jpg

Ashentep

Established Member
The wiring harness between the two are completely different, too. You may be better off getting the complete new mach 460 system from someone, or at least most of the wiring.

I've removed my new style mach 460 completely if you want me to take any pictures of the wiring thats involved. I can tell you that the new system has 4 speakers running of the head unit, and 4 running off amps on the rear deck. There aren't any amps in the dash like the older ones (none that I've found anyway). There are two amps on the rear deck, one for the 5x7 door speakers, and one for the 5x7 rear deck speakers.

P51 Pilot

Established Member
One point - beware: The new unit uses bulbs (instead of fiber optics) to light up the 6-CD unit buttons. The lamps heat up the unit and prevent the CDs from ejecting until things cool off. I've had it into the dealer twice but have learned to live with it.

A trunk-mounted CD changer would have been a better option. Then again, how long has Ford been making this stuff?

Users who are viewing this thread