Switching from 91 to 93 octane Timing!

boostftw05

Established Member
Not sure if its just my computer but the search does not work for me. but when I bought the cobra it was tuned for 91 octane I have 93 here how much can I bump up the timing? it was set at 14* for the 91. Whats a good level to run at? not looking for the "safe" answer cause the car only gets run 1/4 mile at a time and not pushed hard for long periods.

Thanks,
Anthony C.

98 Saleen Cobra

Established Member
How much boost are you running for 14* of timing?? Usually 15psi on 91 is safe and with 15psi about 17-19* of timing is safe with 15psi on a motor with 8:5.1 compression. For 93 what I've seen 17-18psi is safe with about 17* of timing.. I hope this helps. Again this is just all from my tuner but different tuners tune differently lol.

boostftw05

Established Member
Haha thanks man its running 14 to 15lbs Ill up it to 17 to 18* also do you know if there is away to get a knock light on our cars? I was HUGE into tuning Evos people use to pay me to set there car up on the stock ECU. Ive got a wideband on order but needed to find out if I can see when the car detonates to know when to back on on the timing and on boost fuel table.

98 Saleen Cobra

Established Member
Haha thanks man its running 14 to 15lbs Ill up it to 17 to 18* also do you know if there is away to get a knock light on our cars? I was HUGE into tuning Evos people use to pay me to set there car up on the stock ECU. Ive got a wideband on order but needed to find out if I can see when the car detonates to know when to back on on the timing and on boost fuel table.

Yea you can definatley run more timing. I would also consider getting a retune to make sure your A/F ratio is good when you do up the timing. As for knock sensors, if you have an 04 Cobra which I'm assuming you do they didn't come with knock sensors. I dont' know why they didn't. As for getting them I'm not to sure if you can install them. I know on my block I have knock sensors.. Typically the max timing I've seen people go to on these cars is like 23 and that's a shit ton in my book.

Double post this site is on crack right now!

yes this site is effing up hard core right now. It's rather annoying lol. :beer:

boostftw05

Established Member
Yea you can definatley run more timing. I would also consider getting a retune to make sure your A/F ratio is good when you do up the timing. As for knock sensors, if you have an 04 Cobra which I'm assuming you do they didn't come with knock sensors. I dont' know why they didn't. As for getting them I'm not to sure if you can install them. I know on my block I have knock sensors.. Typically the max timing I've seen people go to on these cars is like 23 and that's a shit ton in my book.

yes this site is effing up hard core right now. It's rather annoying lol. :beer:

Yeah man its crazy right now! Ill get it taken to a local for another good dyno tune but ill just bump the timing up for now. Thanks again bud!

Users who are viewing this thread