Switching back and forth from E85 to Gasoline or just staying E85

cj428mach

Established Member
I converted to e85 back in July and have been running it full time. I grab 5 gallons at a time when I'm in the area and top the car off. Its a garage queen and has only had about 1000 miles put on it this year.

As winter is approaching I was thinking of switching back to gasoline for the winter. The E85 will begin to turn to e70 the cold weather will affect cold weather starting, the car will also sit a lot of the time. I've also heard that the car manufacturers recommend running a tank of gasoline through the car every so often to clean things out on flex fuel cars. I'm wondering if I should switch back to gasoline for the winter or at least run one tank of gas through the car just for the hell of it. Whats everyone elses experiences on this? Thanks

c6zhombre

E85 NutSwinger
Established Member
I've still yet to switch back to gasoline. Getting close to 3 years now. I've read some of the reasoning to switch back, but every time I start running low on a tank of E85.....I just can't bring myself to actually do it. Lol. Don't want to lose 150hp for even 1 tank. Still no negative effects as far as I can tell.....car runs and starts awesome. Idles perfect. Paper fuel filter still whistle clean. But I do see 85% pretty much year round down here. No E70.

Even my rinkidink supplies to test the ethanol are fine. Cheap disposable syringe and aquarium hose from Walmart are none the worse. The suction on the syringe is perfect, no loss at all. I can't imagine any of these plastics are "Ethanol compatible" Lol. I thought after all the years of reading "E85 eats fuel systems" these plastics would certainly degrade quickly.....that has not been the case.

redline5.0

Established Member
I also run e85 here year round. If you get sketchy e85 then I would run a tank of 93/91 every so often. I've saw what e85 can do to injectors and intakes if the gas station does not store the e85 properly, we called it the black death and basically looks like tar. I've used the same place for years running e85 24/7 with no ill effects.

Users who are viewing this thread