switch to gen 2

95 thunder

Established Member
hey guys...thinking of possibly going to a gen 2 and selling my 95, financially i luv to keep it and get gen 2 also ( what i have always wanted to do and have both and "might") however i be pushing my luck with wife etc...and i am not that rich...any feedback appreciated while i am thinking of this.....i have always like the gen 1's one's better then the gen 2's by a little bit, but have possible sweet potential deal on a gen 2 and it's got me thinking a bit....thanks.....chances are i will stay put but again "thinking"

Soul Rebel

Tryin to get DIESEL!!!
Established Member
I love the gen 2, but I wouldn't sell my gen 1 to get one in the process. I think the immediate power, better styling (subjective) and noticiability are all the things a gen 2 has over a gen 1. That being said, I think as of right now there is a lot more potential in the gen 1, due to more aftermarket support for the 351 W (stroker kits). I don't want to start a gen 1 vs. gen 2 war here, so I'll just leave it at that. There are strong and weak points to both trucks, keep in mind however that some of the guys who went over to a gen 2 came back to a gen 1. For what reason, I am unsure of however. Just my 2 cents. -Josh

94jeff

Established Member
I went through the same thing that you are going through. I had a 94 that I did all of the mods to, including a supercharger. Then I got a chance to buy an 02 for a great price. After driving the newer one I was hooked. Out with the old, in with the new. Even though my 94 was just as fast as the 02 without the supercharger and faster with it, it's like old school vs new school. The 94 feels like a hotrod with the feel of speed. The 02 is like an electric motor, smooth. Plus the fact that it's 8 yrs. newer and believe it or not my insurance is cheaper. I would get the newer one in a heartbeat. Good luck trying to make your choice.
Jeff

Matt95L

Established Member
I wouldn't,but i'm not a big fan of the 97-04 bodystyle and i'm not to kean on the mod motors(maybe if that "Hurricane" motor comes out :coolman: ).If its what you want whats it matter what we think?

95 thunder

Established Member
thanks for replys(and open to any others still)...and i know the ultimate decision is mine for sure but curious on input here, not many of my friends are "car" guys etc...and they dont even understand why i have a 10 year old truck now if you know what i mean...and what "lightning" means....as mentioned proably going to stay put and also get a gen 2 too "but" when i can afford both...which is not too far away for me....could get a 2002 gen 2, one owner.older guy with 25k on the clock, blk, no mods for 17k, truck solid/and nice/inspected,clean carfax, no accidents etc...and it's a trade at my wifes work and i can get what they give on trade....they will put on lot for proably 20k or so....so "thinking"

Last edited:

ezernut9mm

CHAINED BLUE LIGHTNING!
Established Member
that sounds like a really good deal 95. the decision is yours, but i think you will miss that gen 1...

LIGHTNING LARRY

Retired
Super Moderator
95 thunder said:
thanks for replys(and open to any others still)...and i know the ultimate decision is mine for sure but curious on input here, not many of my friends are "car" guys etc...and they dont even understand why i have a 10 year old truck now if you know what i mean...and what "lightning" means....as mentioned proably going to stay put and also get a gen 2 too "but" when i can afford both...which is not too far away for me....could get a 2002 gen 2, one owner.older guy with 25k on the clock, blk, no mods for 17k, truck solid/and nice/inspected,clean carfax, no accidents etc...and it's a trade at my wifes work and i can get what they give on trade....they will put on lot for proably 20k or so....so "thinking"

Do it! You'll love it. I like the Gen Is a LOT. But in my opinion there is no comparison. As stated earlier. One is old skool and one is just smoooooooooooooooth. :beer:

tk2

Established Member
Sounds like a good deal but you know in the future you're gonna want to mod it up. With all that extra money that you gotta front for the gen2 and figure the future mod money for it you can have a beast on a gen1 that would smoke that gen2. I would rather have the time tested tried and true push rod V8 than that modular, spark plug spittin', coil pack hasseling, cramp hard to work on engine the gen2 guys have. Then again the gen2 is nice to look at. :pop:

Soul Rebel

Tryin to get DIESEL!!!
Established Member
Todd, I agree with you, but I would like to have both. Suprised no gen 2 guys haven't stepped in and battled your "mod motor" comments. Lightning Larry, what's wrong you don't like the farm truck styled gen 1?:shrug: :D Let's just not turn this into another battle of gen 1 vs. gen 2, cause it's been run into the ground many times over. Just my 2 cents-Josh :beer:

smilinjack

Established Member
Well I've got both (95-00) and you're right. They are like day and night. And that's what makes them so damn COOL!! Everybody is right on this issue because we've all got at least one. But I need to stir a little so let me say this. If you don't appreciate the MOD motor it' can only be because you've never built one yourself. They are extremely cool and produce power like few others of their size can. I was raised on the pushrod motors and just love them too. I'm in hog heaven with these two trucks........

95 thunder

Established Member
smilinjack said:
Well I've got both (95-00) and you're right. They are like day and night. And that's what makes them so damn COOL!! Everybody is right on this issue because we've all got at least one. But I need to stir a little so let me say this. If you don't appreciate the MOD motor it' can only be because you've never built one yourself. They are extremely cool and produce power like few others of their size can. I was raised on the pushrod motors and just love them too. I'm in hog heaven with these two trucks........

totally agree and i like/want to be in the same boat....you guys are for sure getting the wheels turning in my head a bit....(no intention of starting a gen 1 vs gen 2 war also) i love them both and for sure they both have their pro's and con's in my thoughts etc....hopefully i will $hit or get off the pot on my decision in a day or two ( i got to chew this over a bit) i sway to having both and get gen 2 also along with my white 95 in about a year or so (others will be traded at wife's work) thanks fella's

Soul Rebel

Tryin to get DIESEL!!!
Established Member
LIGHTNING LARRY said:
Soul Rebel said:
Lightning Larry, what's wrong you don't like the farm truck styled gen 1?:shrug: QUOTE]

RE-read my post 5 posts up. :rolleyes:
LL, it was meant as a joke. My bad, I prolly should've put a LOL, but I thought this little guy did the trick... :D

EZ SPEED

Boost Kills !!!!!!!
Established Member
I am very fortunate to own a fine example of both a Gen 1 and a Gen 2...Best of Both Worlds

ezernut9mm

CHAINED BLUE LIGHTNING!
Established Member
if i had the funds, i gaurentee i'd have a gen 2 sittin' right beside the 1. they are a whole different ball game. i'd take the 2nd gen to church on sunday and use the 1st to GO WHORING! hee, hee!

95 thunder

Established Member
well for anyone interested, i talked with wife and "slept" on it...i am going to keep the gen 1 and get a gen 2 in the near future when finance's permit it easier, so i can have my little dream of having both...the more i think about, if i let the 95 go i will end up kicking myself just like i have done with several muscle cars i have had over the years(especially a 69 gto) and sold etc.. , and i know i would be happy with the gen 2 but there wont be second guessing....by the way also, truck is going on the lot for $21.5,and i again could have for 17k, so that gets my goat a bit but another will come...if all goes well i will accomplish my dream by this fall (self employed) thanks guys!

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread