Swirl Marks

Cantoodler

Your Face
Established Member
Well after buying the car with 69k on it, its obvious the previous owner did not take an outstanding care for the paint job as there are swirls all over the car. I was wondering what would be the best way to take the swirls out of the car and have it restored to its factory beauty. Thanks in advance

Cantoodler

Your Face
Established Member
heres an example of what im talking about this was after a recent wash

Cars029.jpg

05 Roush

Roushcharged
Established Member
Here are my recommendations:

1. First, wash with Dawn Detergent
  2. Next, Use a Clay Bar to clean off the surface of crud.
  3. Third, use Blue Magic Metal Polish and apply. Then buff with a soft cloth. Repeat.
  4. Lastly, apply 3-4 coats of Zaino Z-5 Car Polish. http://www.zainobros.com
    [/list=1]

You should be better off than before. Give it a shot and let us know your results.:beer:

Juiced-03

Established Member
There is no way you will get those out by hand (you will only be filling them with Z5). I am pretty busy with other clients, and my full time job, but I always cut the SacStangs members a great deal on detailing so I can work something out with you if you want. I am close to you too :D

VENOM98

NOVI POWER
Established Member
Originally posted by 97 svt cbra
Well after buying the car with 69k on it, its obvious the previous owner did not take an outstanding care for the paint job as there are swirls all over the car. I was wondering what would be the best way to take the swirls out of the car and have it restored to its factory beauty. Thanks in advance

There is some serious info on how fix your problem on the links below...

http://www.meguiarsonline.com/forums/showthread.php?threadid=1971
http://www.meguiarsonline.com/forums/showthread.php?threadid=1818&perpage=10&pagenumber=1
http://www.meguiarsonline.com/forums/showthread.php?threadid=218

Scott P

Established Member
Those swirls look pretty tough. Bryan is right, you can't them out 100% by hand. You would need at least a Porter Cable Random Orbit or most likely a full-blown rotary.

Zaino Z-5 will not touch those swirls. The swirl filling properties are greatly exaggerated. Meguiar’s Scratch-X wouldn’t work too well either. I would give some different things a try and I’m sure many people will back me up here.

SSR2.5 from Poorboy’s is new and will work nicely to remove and reduce a lot of those swirls. Swirl removal by hand is work, but it can be done. SSR2.5 is a swirl remover that uses diminishing abrasives to remove swirls. It doesn’t contain fillers to hide them. You would use a terry towel, terry applicator or microfiber applicator to apply the product. Wipe in straight lines in a back and forth motion in a 2 x 2 foot area until the product breaks down to a fine dust. Wipe off with a towel and inspect your work. You won’t remove 100% of them, but I think you’ll be pleasantly surprised by what you can accomplish.

Once that is done, topping off with Clearkote Vanilla Moose and Carnauba Moose Wax will really give you a great wet look. A lot of people on this board have tried it and liked it.

The alternative is to find a pro detailer who is willing to actually remove the swirls. Then, you would only need to do upkeep.

Juiced-03

Established Member
Great advice Scott. I have not used any or the SSR products yet, but as soon as my DACP runs out I would like to try them. I used to have a 95GT that looked just like that car in the pic. All Z5 did was make the swirls look very shiny lol.

I am the detail manager for the 4th largest dealership in Northern California, and I also detail cars on my days off. Somehow I have to find a way to finish my school work and maintain my relationship with the lady lol. 13 hour work days 5 days a week, then detailing cars on my Mondays and Tuesdays off are starting to take its toll on me, but I cant complain about the money for only being 22 :D

LogiWorld123

Established Member
Originally posted by PlatinumCobra
Here are my recommendations:

1. First, wash with Dawn Detergent
    [/list=1]

1. Dish soap? Why don't you just suggest 20 grit sandpaper?

Juiced-03

Established Member
Oh hey Scott, you will love what we use at my dealership:

BLUE CORAL!!!

Has to be some of the WORST products I have EVER used. Not much I can do since we have a contract with them, but it's just plain horrible! At least for the most part I get to just supervise and handle the recon area, but sometimes the rookies need a little help with the wet-sanding and rotary buffer.

I washed my car in the wash bay last night at midnight since I never have time to do it at home anymore. Boy what a misstake! My car now has a hazy film all over the car. I assume the "cherry wash" we use is pretty similar to Dawn wash :nono:

Last edited:

Big Vito

tactician
Established Member
I know a member of SacStang :)

Originally posted by Bryan-03
There is no way you will get those out by hand (you will only be filling them with Z5). I am pretty busy with other clients, and my full time job, but I always cut the SacStangs members a great deal on detailing so I can work something out with you if you want. I am close to you too :D

CobraSusie

Team Shelby Great Lakes State Director (Indiana)
Established Member
Originally posted by 97 svt cbra
this is usually from automatic car washes

(I am a auto painter 12 years)

If you want a true deep finish without painting

1. 3M Imperial hand glaze (get the quart size bottle better buy)

2. Buffer with a terry cloth bonnet

3. Buff the 3M imperial hand glaze into the paint
til the scratches go away

4. lock the shine in with a good sealer wax like...
wipe down with a micro fiber cloth

always wipe down the car after washing it with a synthetic chamois, it will avoid new scratches

Blue Coral (in the can)
Rain x in the can

I like Car Brites (Laser brite for black cars)
you can buy it through Bee Distributors out of Florida (mail order)

Meguires NXT Generation

there are so many, I guess basically it comes down to perference:beer:

05 Roush

Roushcharged
Established Member
Originally posted by Scoriox
Dish soap? Why don't you just suggest 20 grit sandpaper?

It removes any wax and contaminants from road oils. And so long as you don't wash with it all the time it's just fine.

Users who are viewing this thread