Swing of emotions

13COBRA

Resident Ford Dealer
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
Cliffs: I went fast.

This past weekend was my last event of the season. The last few times out my car is finally starting to run how it should. Still battling some brake issues, hoping to get that resolved soon.

Friday was an open test day in the afternoon so I wanted to go out and get some heat in the brakes, hopefully get the ABS pump to fire enough times where a good brake bleed would get me through the weekend with minimal issues. When I got to the track I was going over the event's registration list and kinda scoping out the competition. The only one that was going to be close was a buddy in his 488 EVO Challenge car. He wasn't at the track Friday, but had hired a pro driver and Ray Phillips (Precision Driving Analytics) to come out and get his car set up for him to drive over the weekend. On Friday, you had to have point bys to pass...which is obnoxious...but some of the cars testing, like me, were racecars and had windows or window nets so they couldn't point you by. Had a situation with one guy who stay way wide going into T3, and hit the brakes really early, I was assuming he was leaving the inside open for me to pass and couldn't point me by...so I took it, until he came down and almost took me out, so that was fun. I spoke with him afterwards, he never saw me. Case in point why those little 3" circular mirrors on the roll cages are worthless. Talked to the driver afterwards...when I approached him, he had no idea it even happened.

About 3 weeks ago, I ran a 1:37.51 in the same configuration. It was a record for all organizations that have run there, but since I did it during a Porsche Club Event, it didn't count for anything besides some high fives. So, Friday I was running just hard enough to get the brakes figured out, I think the fastest I ran was a 1:42.5. It was 50 degrees, 42/43 degree windchill and overcast all weekend, so that didn't help with tires, brakes or the track temperature. Saturday morning we went out, and I was surprised that my buddy wasn't there...but the pro driver was driving his car during competition. It was freezing in the morning and I couldn't put the power down any where. At lunch I was leading the event with a 1:39.55. First session after lunch the pro driver puts down a 1:36.873....they quickly went and registered him as a driver so his runs would count for competition.

I was pretty frustrated. Event registration is closed at the beginning of the event... but after that session, his name started showing up on the results/grid. I went home Saturday night, well to my son's soccer game, feeling pretty frustrated and discouraged. Not only did this dude beat me and set the official track record, but I felt a little slighted with how it all went down.

Sunday morning I come back to the track, open my garage and find that one of my airjacks blew a seal. So, lovely way to start the day. Seems like everything is going downhill. My buddy who owns the Ferrari was there and was going to drive.

Session 1:
Me: 1:38.525 ( I was DQ'd because on the second lap I blew a turn because my brakes weren't hot yet and went 3 off...so my time on lap #5 didn't count)
Him: 1:42.681

Session 2:
Me: 1:38.150 (I was DQ'd because I spun on the outlap haha so my lap time on #4 didn't count)
Him: 1:42.381

There were four sessions on Sunday, but I could only stay for the first three then had a couple of baseball games to make it to for my kiddo. I knew that coming out after lunch was my last shot, and with as shitty as my day had gone so far, I wasn't very hopeful. Normally on lap 2, I'm rolling and going for my best of the session before I hit traffic or tires get greasy...but I went back through my data over lunch and was seeing my tires and brakes weren't really coming in until lap 4. So I paced myself for a few laps, and sent it on 4 and ran a 1:38.08. I crossed the finish line, saw the time on my Catalyst and felt pretty good about it and figured I had one left. Well I went through T1 and T2 and look at my Garmin to see it lit up green (ahead of fastest lap of 1:37.51, and I was up .5 seconds! So I was full send at that point. I messed up Turn 5, and coming out of the Chicane, but other than that it was a pretty solid lap. I knew it was going to be close! I came around T14 and saw them waving the checkered flag, which meant the lap I was about to finish would be my last of the day/weekend/season. Well, I came across the line and my Garmin went blank for .5 seconds like it always does before it throws up the lap time...and then....BAM!

Session #3:
Me: 1:36.750
Him: 1:43.353

New overall OFFICIAL track record. Overall winning lap of the weekend. Beat the pro driver. Beat my personal best.

I was pumped! It made all of the other junk seem pretty minimal and definitely was a good way to close out the season. My 'trophy'/plaque is still a 2nd place trophy...since NASA does awards Saturday night, but the track record means more to me than a piece of plastic anyways.

After going over the data, on fresh tires (not 14 heat cycle'd Michelins), a clean lap, and more focus... I think my car is capable of mid 34s. ESPECIALLY after realizing when I was loading into the trailer that my splitter was angled at 1 degrees...UP, not down. So I was missing 20-30% of the downforce for turn in...no wonder it was pushing through T3, T7 and T10.

When I updated my Catalyst I somehow turned the recording sound off, so sorry it's silent... Pictures to come this week!

1697468052243.png

Last edited:

Fastback

Baker
Established Member
Premium Member
Right on man!

Now you have some newfound enthusiasm! Keeps you going when all the little things with the car have been wearing on you. Race cars are never finished, It's just time to go race!

Finished the last track day here last week. Coming off T8 at Pacific Raceways, by the grandstands you make a blind right had curve to come on the front stretch. It also has a horrid set of rolling bumps on the drivers left as you exit onto the front stretch. I grabbed 4th, turned in, and the rear stepped out! Went over the rollers Countered to bring it back away from the jersey barriers. Rear just snapped around, pit the car and panhard bar mount cracked, and tore from the lateral force, But now it gives me something else to take care of this off season.

Congratulations on the win! Sounds well deserved.

L8APEX

*Turbo Not to Scale
Established Member
Premium Member
Bravo Nick!
The rollercoaster of emotions, and the determination (and testicular fortitude to really push your car) makes the triumph that much sweeter.

13COBRA

Resident Ford Dealer
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
Bravo Nick!
The rollercoaster of emotions, and the determination (and testicular fortitude to really push your car) makes the triumph that much sweeter.

Thanks sir.

I was feeling on Cloud 9 Sunday...then I start going through the video...haha

T4 coming out of the carousel I was WAYYYYY late on the power. I didn't get back on the power until I was at the exit curbing, so about 25ft too late. Three weeks ago my max speed on that little straight was 91mph, where in this video it was 87mph. On the exit of T5 I was at 70mph this weekend, compared to 75mph the time before, somehow it only affected me 1mph on the high end though.

It helped me going through T6 though. I was actually slower into T6, but was able to get on the power a lot faster going up the hill where it mattered and was able to pick up 3mph going into T7 which led to 2mph faster on the back straight.

Finally, I have to get over my fear of T10. I'm braking at the 4 board, that's laughable haha I should be able to carry 8-10mph more through the corner.

blk02edge

Established Member
lol! Mustang drivers...

my only question is how does a pro driver in a 488 Challenge only beat a tt1 camaro by 1.7 seconds?

oh and, what happened to the Radical?

13COBRA

Resident Ford Dealer
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
lol! Mustang drivers...

my only question is how does a pro driver in a 488 Challenge only beat a tt1 camaro by 1.7 seconds?

oh and, what happened to the Radical?

No kidding on the Mustang guy.

The 488 Challenge EVO wasnt being driven by the Pro on Sunday, he drove it Saturday and ran the 1:36.873. The owner of the car drove it on Sunday and only managed a 1:41.830.

The guy that owns the Radical is really nice... but he isn't fast. Truth be told, he bought the wrong car. Should've bought a GT car with more power, as he doesn't mind straightline speed but DEFINITELY doesn't take advantage of the Radical's cornering. There was an SR3 a couple of years ago that ran around the track at a 1:39.8, he was a much better driver. Here's the guy from this weekend:

Last edited:

blk02edge

Established Member
No kidding on the Mustang guy.

The 488 Challenge EVO wasnt being driven by the Pro on Sunday, he drove it Saturday and ran the 1:36.873. The owner of the car drove it on Sunday and only managed a 1:41.830.

The guy that owns the Radical is really nice... but he isn't fast. Truth be told, he bought the wrong car. Should've bought a GT car with more power, as he doesn't mind straightline speed but DEFINITELY doesn't take advantage of the Radical's cornering. There was an SR3 a couple of years ago that ran around the track at a 1:39.8, he was a much better driver. Here's the guy from this weekend:

Ahhh I misread. Makes sense.

I sold my Radical to a guy who has no business being in it.. took him for an introductory day and yikes... buy a Miata man

Anyway congrats on the laps, what's in store for winter?

13COBRA

Resident Ford Dealer
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
Ahhh I misread. Makes sense.

I sold my Radical to a guy who has no business being in it.. took him for an introductory day and yikes... buy a Miata man

Anyway congrats on the laps, what's in store for winter?

There's a lot of guys like that...haha

I'm going to dump the ADL2 and get a C125 or 127. Add some more sensors, because it's basically sensorless...and try to get faster by a better setup.

I had considered more power, but I think I'm going to hold off on that for a bit. The car has 645whp, and I was chirping tires this weekend on upshifts as it was.

blk02edge

Established Member
There's a lot of guys like that...haha

I'm going to dump the ADL2 and get a C125 or 127. Add some more sensors, because it's basically sensorless...and try to get faster by a better setup.

I had considered more power, but I think I'm going to hold off on that for a bit. The car has 645whp, and I was chirping tires this weekend on upshifts as it was.
Yay! The proper way! Nice

13COBRA

Resident Ford Dealer
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
Any frustrating day at the track is better than a great day at work! Unless you crash.

There were several accidents this weekend, unfortunately. Luckily for me, I wasn't one of them.

specracer

SVTOA MCA
Premium Member
Well, I have 2 simple words, that cover the highest highs, but also the lowest lows, and then everything in between ......

"that's racing"

Glad you had a good ending to the weekend!

black92

Hot rod Lincoln
Established Member
Congrats on the run!

My co-workers brother was at either that event or another over the weekend in a silver '20+ GT500 Track Pack and ended up making contact with the wall on his last run. I feel bad for the dude because I believe he didn't have track insurance, will be paying out of pocket to fix it and only had the car about 6 months or so.

ToddW702

Established Member
Congrats on the runs. It looks like a lot of fun. Your car is so bad ass keep doing what you are doing. Does it ever cross your mind that there will be a scout at one of these and they might see you tearing shit up and approach you with an offer? Sometimes a guy can dream a little.

Sent from my iPhone using svtperformance.com

Users who are viewing this thread