sway bar questions

Babbit

Established Member
my rear sway bar broke last night while i was traveling at high speeds around a left curve and over a bump. the car hopped over to the right about a foot or two, scaring the you know what outta me, and subsequently breaking the rear sway bar where it mounts on the right side. now it is just hanging by the left side and clanging against the underside, but it is not dragging, yet. the sound is totally annoying. the car also handles like you know what.
anyway, i was wondering if a sway bar from a 01 or 02 GT will fit the car. i might be able to get one temporarily from a friend until i can afford a new one.
i am also open to suggestions as to which sway bar and/or suspension kits are a good buy. i was leaning toward the Steeda G-Trac stage one kit which includes lowering springs, adjustable rear sway bar, a strut tower brace, and caster/camber plates, all for about $560. any and all suggestions and/or advice will be much appreciated, thank you.

GR8WHITE

The BIG FISH
Established Member
Sounds to me like the Steeda kit is the way to go for you. The GT bar should fit as a temp fix, but it isn't tuned for your cars suspension or weight. The 99+ GT's are light, like 3260 lbs light, compared to your right at 3600 lbs weight.

Babbit

Established Member
the only thing i am not sure of is if the steeda kit uses the stock sway bar. i have noticed that some adjustable sway bars use the stock sway bar. i saw in the mustangsunlimited catalog that they had one steeda sway that said stock replacement and another that said adjustable to be used with stock sway bar. i think that even if i get the kit i still need the stock bar. the price they had for the steeda replacement was abot a 110 i think. which i do not have the money for. and it turns out that my friend with the 02 GT is putting the steeda kit on his car and will probably need his stock bar.
so now i wonder if i should shell out the 110 bux on a new (and probably better sway bar) or check out junk yards for a used. hey, if anyone out there has a rear sway bar laying in their garage or basement, let me know.

Babbit

Established Member
thanx for your help, guys. RAYC76, that link was very informative and helpful. now i need to rob a bank to get some suspension goodies. J/K

RayC76

Established Member
Originally posted by Babbit
thanx for your help, guys. RAYC76, that link was very informative and helpful. now i need to rob a bank to get some suspension goodies. J/K
I have no sway bar on my car, so I have to find a donor car for a bar also. Thats how I found that page when researching. I just might take it off my lx if I dont find one.
Ray

ssj4sadie

Established Member
Premium Member
Make sure you have some friends with you when repalcing the sway bar cause it would be damn near impossible to do it alone. but the people from steeda said that you need the stock piece for the adjustable and the replacment one is almost as strong as a stock cobra sway bar.

i8u

Established Member
All you have to do is jack the car up so the rear suspension is unloaded and unbolt it. Real easy.

Babbit

Established Member
i ordered a used rear sway bar from mustang parts specialties for $75. hopefully it is in good shape. has anyone purchased used parts from them before? i hope it doesnt take forever to get here.
and i'd just like to thank everyone for their input and advise. :beer:

ssj4sadie

Established Member
Premium Member
I bought my cobra from them. They told us it was complete and when we got it there was parts missing and when we called them and told them the parts that were missing they sent them over no charge. They also told us what was wrong, like scratches on the car and some more things that were wrong except for the fact we needed to overhaul the engine, but we were going to do that anyways so i guess it dosn't matter. but yeah its been a good experience. Kendall

Users who are viewing this thread