Swapping Subfram Bolts!

wlg101190

Established Member
I just went out and got the 9/16" Grade 8 bolts and locking nut to replace the old 12mm ones. Is there a special way to break the torque on the original bolt / nut? It just seems I can not get any leverage on it. Also, should I purchase a washer for the new setup or will I be fine with just the bolt and locking nut? Thanks!

wlg101190

Established Member
Another question... how did you guys line up that black IRS bar deal back so I can get the new bolt in? I have it at the right level, but it is too far to the left. Any help?

boosted2000si

All good things end!
Established Member
I had to use a punch just to get the IRS holes slightly aligned. Then when I could fit the bolt in I would hammer them in the rest of the way. God it was a PITA, especially with new bushings.

redfiredroptop

Now with more GT500!
Established Member
Maybe this is a stupid question.... but did you remove the rear springs? I found that with the springs in, the larger bolt is nearly impossible to align. I would avoid hammering the bolt! With the springs out, the subframe is pretty easy to position and the bolt can be slid right in. I did this twice... once for poly bushings and once for delrin.

wlg101190

Established Member
I finally got it all in, but had to remove the entire cat-back with the Mac because the muffler was in the way. Turned out fairly well, thanks for all the advice! :thumbsup:

Users who are viewing this thread