Swapping Pulley, Still Tune?

NJ04Cobra

DUMPS FTMFW
Established Member
Hi,
I haven't found the answer I was looking for in the Search engine...so I am looking for your expertise.

Ok, Currently I am running a 3.2 upper pulley with a 4lb lower pulley, CAI, exhaust and a flash tune.
I am looking to upgrade to a 2.93 upper and the idler pulley set, but my questions is will I risk damaging the engine if I drive it like that without getting another tune? Is the change in pulley size going to be that drastic to warrant another tune before I drive her?

The reason being I bougth the car and it was flashed already. Now I can't plug in an SCT tuner and adjust it, or take her somewhere to get her tuned for an update with the new pulleys. So I am kind of screwed. Any advice???
:beer:
Thank you!

Fred

JB

beautiful loser
Established Member
you're not screwed.....SCT can write over any other flashed tune

the XCAL2 will simply treat the existing tune as stock and it will back it up as such before installing the new SCT tune

you'll be running about a half pound less boost with the pulley setup change and really don't need a retune, but I would be leery of running that old tune that you know nothing about :dw:

Last edited:

JB

beautiful loser
Established Member
I'm assuming you don't know the details of the existing tune.....maybe you do and you trust it to be what it's supposed to be.....if so, that's cool

NJ04Cobra

DUMPS FTMFW
Established Member
JB said:
I'm assuming you don't know the details of the existing tune.....maybe you do and you trust it to be what it's supposed to be.....if so, that's cool

Dude...thank you for making me feel better. I was thinking I was royally screwed. I was told I needed Ford to reflash me back to stock, then buy the SCT and have it tuned.

I do know that the current tune is decent, it is running very strong (spins 3rd gear no problem). It also doesn't hesitate, run hot or break up.
That said, I am still very leary and have not gone WOT yet. I am going pretty easy on her until I throw it on a dyno.

I have an appt with JDM so I guess I can go ahead and buy the new pulleys, and have JDM tune it then?

Do I need to by the SCT tuner or would the shop be able to put a new tune on her?

Also, you said I would LOSE boost?? I don't understand that part. Please xplain.

THANK YOU SO MUCH!!!

JB

beautiful loser
Established Member
I just reread your post and I see now that you are swapping the upper while leaving 4lb lower in place....my mistake

I don't know if JDM is able to directly flash SCT or not....you may have to buy the handheld but that's a good thing because you can always use it to datalog or check ODBC codes

NJ04Cobra

DUMPS FTMFW
Established Member
JB said:
I just reread your post and I see now that you are swapping the upper while leaving 4lb lower in place....my mistake

I don't know if JDM is able to directly flash SCT or not....you may have to buy the handheld but that's a good thing because you can always use it to datalog or check ODBC codes

Cool man, thank you very much. The session at JDM will run a ton of $$$$, so not sure if I will have enough cash to buy the tuner and pay for the labor/tuning session. But at least I know they can tune over the current map. That makes me feel so much better.
As always, than you guys for your knowledge....you always pull through!!:coolman: :bowdown:

Users who are viewing this thread