Swapping my 99 cobra lower for an already built lower

99CobraNRA

Established Member
Long story short is that I spun a rod bearing in my 99 cobra and have been doing alot of research on different options for rebuilding. I ended up finding an already build teksid block with kellog crank and manley forged 5.0 stroker rods and pistons. The plan now is to strip my old block and put everything onto the new block. My heads are not damaged however I am going to get them cleaned up before putting them on. My question for you mustang wizards on here is what kind of problems might I run into? Is the timing going to be a hassle? I am NA, with BBK CAI, BBK long headers w/ Flowmaster mufflers and MagnaFlow exhaust.

01yellercobra

Established Member
Everything should bolt on fine. You'll want a tune for the new engine. Depending on how much power it ends up making you might need to upgrade the MAF and injectors.

99CobraNRA

Established Member
Ok so I won't have to mess with the timing at all, I can just mark the chain is and put it back in the same spot? I am mechanically inclined however this is the first time doing major engine work myself. I want to make sure I don't mess this up as it is my daily driver for the next couple years until I can baby it. That's when I will make full use of the built block.

olgreydog7

Jaded
Established Member
There are dots on your cam gears. Follow the manual and line them up. If you run a cam profile, you have to be quite a bit off to run into an piston to valve contact issues. Just make sure your cam gears and crank gears are aligned and you will be fine. That being said, you should plan more time than you think you need. Things always pop up. Little parts that have gotten old and brittle like to break, old crusty bolts like to strip out, ect. Take pictures and bag and tag EVERYTHING so you know where it goes back in.

99CobraNRA

Established Member
Ok thank you guys. A couple places around her have the dyno machine, is $500;average for a dyno and tune? Or should I keep looking? Also if anyone knows someone who would like to buy my old shortblock for a build I am selling it. I have not pulled it yet so I'm not too sure of the extent of the damage, I'm sure it COULD be a cheap fix if a person. Didn't want to go forged internals, otherwise it is a solid block for a build.

01yellercobra

Established Member
I think that's about the average price around here. I think my buddy just paid $600 to have his cobra tuned.

99CobraNRA

Established Member
Another note

On another note, what kind of hp should I be expecting? I have not had it tuned before, I know stock it's around 320. Has anyone done just a 5.0 stroker before? Some quick math which I don't know if it's right or not puts it at 347, plus the BBK CAI, BBK long tubes, MagnaFlow exhaust with Flowmaster mufflers. I would like to see around 400 at the wheel. Is this too much positive thinking? It is my daily driver now but I would still like to stay competitive on the street and be able to compete with some of the newer gts until I can upgrade my fuel system and put a whipple on. Also random question as I am new to forums, how can you add pics to a thread and your profile pic? That way I can post pictures as I work if anyone wants to see another 99 build. Thanks all.

01yellercobra

Established Member
That's 320 at the crank. At the tires it's more like 270. Mine was 287 or 297 with a catted mid pipe. 400rwhp takes cams, ported heads, compression, etc. A Whipple is a whole other ball game.

My 5.3L with 03 Cobra heads, Ford GT cams, 9.5:1, compression and full exhaust put down 326rwhp.

Last edited:

99CobraNRA

Established Member
I got he old engine and trans out. Separated the trans and got my pressure plate and clutch removed. Now I am stuck on getting my flywheel off. I have the correct size socket on an impact gun and the socket is spinning on the end of the bolt. There's 8 of them on the cobras, and I cannot find a video anywhere of someone doing this, if anyone knows someone or has romped a 99 cobra flywheel please help me out here. There are not any nuts on the opposite side of the flywheel to grab, and the crank isn't spinning. I don't know how to post pics on here yet otherwise I would

01yellercobra

Established Member
There's nothing special holding them on. The bolts should unscrew pretty easily. If the socket is spinning then I'd try another socket. Is the bolt head rounded off? I want to say it's an 18mm socket, but it's been a long time.

olgreydog7

Jaded
Established Member
There's nothing special holding them on. The bolts should unscrew pretty easily. If the socket is spinning then I'd try another socket. Is the bolt head rounded off? I want to say it's an 18mm socket, but it's been a long time.

Either that or the bolt is stripped, which would suck.

99CobraNRA

Established Member
stupid question but its all ready to go in and I have pics to post. I am new to this forum and couldnt find out how to post pics :/ can someone help me with how to post the pics.

99CobraNRA

Established Member
engine.jpg

99CobraNRA

Established Member
its not letting me upload the pics, but i have two really small connectors that i dont know where they go too. One is right next to my clutch cable against the fire wall, and the other is right on the backside of the left hand valve cover. All of the other connections are plugged in but I cant see where these two would connect.

Users who are viewing this thread