swapping from KB to turbo??

LeoGSVT

Banned
the only thing that was stopping me from going turbo in the first place was people telling me i wouldnt get to enjoy the power of a turbo on my car without the motor to hold the power..being that my car is getting a new motor .20 over with some JE pistons and new ported heads, im wondering how much it would cost me to get rid of my polished KB 2.2 and go turbo...my car already has a fuel system (BAP, injectors, maf) bassani midlength headers and lots of cooling mods..(see sig for all mods) would i have to get rid of my headers?? after selling all the stuff (blower, heatexchanger, intercooler setup) realisticly how much are we talking about here?? i really want a single setup..ive seen some of the kits offered on diffrent sites and im not too happy about spending 10K for a twin setup...what if i picked up a turbo and got a local shop to custom do all the piping?? has anybody custom done a turbo kit yet?? any info would be great guys!

TRBO VNM

you will need more regarding fuel than what you posted. the fuel line upgrade and fuel pumps will be required.

all depends on how much you get for your whipple and anything else you can sell on how much more you will pay.

BTW, I am on stock long block. not sure who told you you can't do it. many others have.

the hellion kit uses stock headers and I would recommend that. The JBA shorties were tried and lost power. so you can even sell the headers and make some money off that. doing a custom kit will probably cost more.

are the springs the only suspension mod you have? cc plates? kmember?

Last edited:

TRBO VNM

harleytruck9144 said:
so you only spent around 1k for your setup????

all depends on how much other stuff you can sell. also you need to keep in mind other extras. boost controller, wideband maybe if you want, other fuel upgrades, other little things. I changed some hoses, postban got a oil distribution block, etc.

while some might be very minor expenses, everything adds up.

MachME

2V Power
Established Member
I wouldnt do a custom job,

I local guy did that and he has a built motor and everything. Well anyways after it was all done, the car had major over heating problems i guess.

At 12psi hes only making something in the low-mid 400's and from what ive been told 12psi should be 650 or so.

Shoey

www.modularfords.com
Established Member
I guess i'll post this here also.

As much as I’m going to get shit for this:

Doing a custom turbo kit is not hard. It does require skill and need to be done right. But, I reality a turbo kit is just a bunch of pipe connected together from the headers to the turbo(s) and from the turbo(s) to the exhaust. The intake is normal (KN cone style) and the charge air is directed form the turbo to the intake or to an intercooler then the intake. You also need an oil feed line and drain. That's about it.

Now for the reality:

If you have never done one before or the shop you are going to does not have experience if custom fabricating a turbo kit from the ground up. I would not try it or use their services. Is not easy and care does need to be taken during design and fabrication. Turbos get extremely hot and heating up the wrong things can cause fires and burnt electrical parts. If the shop you are using has told you that they have done turbo kits before ask for some references. Import turbo kits are entirely different from a mod motor. I have done quite a few import and domestic kits/upgrades and V8's are different. It's not any harder but there are differences you have to worry about and take into consideration.

I'm not telling you not to do it. Turbos are great and (another thing I’m going to get shit for) any other power adder out their today can’t match a well-engineered turbo kit. Just watch whom you get advice from and whom you use for the work. Allot say they can do it. But, very few have the know how to do it right the first time.

Now for my vote: Turbo Horsepower (but I’m a little biased because Jim likes me.... LOL ). Their coming out with a full race set-up in about 6 months from what i hear and it should be worth waiting for.

Also, remember the supporting mods needed for the added power level. Always plan for the future (i.e. boost) when modding.

LeoGSVT

Banned
i have CC plates on the car...stock K member and such...i dont really want to dish out 3k to do the swap..im happy with the power the KB/spray makes...but a turbo really excites me!!!! im going to talk to some local fabing shops that build custom turbo kits and see what they can do me for....

FordRacing200

Banned
LeoGSVT said:
i have CC plates on the car...stock K member and such...i dont really want to dish out 3k to do the swap..im happy with the power the KB/spray makes...but a turbo really excites me!!!! im going to talk to some local fabing shops that build custom turbo kits and see what they can do me for....
Its much simpler, faster, and cheaper (UNLESS you really understand turbos and trust yourself/the shop) to just buy a kit and sell your current set-up. As previously stated, after selling all your stuff you won't spend much more then 1-2k dollars.

Users who are viewing this thread