swapping Ecu MSE3 & ZMR2 question?

stang8762

Established Member
I currently purchased a low milage 01 cobra and want to switch my built engine, ecu , cluster and turbo kit from my 99 cobra to the 01 cobra . My car was tuned and im trying to save a little bit of money on getting it retuned.. Can i switch just ecu and cluster over to my 01? or do i have to swap the whole wiring harness, ecu , cluster over? Ive heard the harnesses are the same but just want to verify.

99 ecu is a ZMR2
01 ecu is a MSE3

anyone have pin outs of both these ecu?

03Steve

Established Member
Clock speed is the same. 24MHz. Low speed fan may be on a different pin. A/C relay is different. Both of those items can be specified in the EEC. I have swapped from a 99 Cobra processor to a 99 GT processor and to an 04 GT processor. Everything in that family can be accounted for with tuning.

stang8762

Established Member
so technically if i just wanted to swap out my 2001 MSE3 for my tuned 99 ZMR2 so your saying some things wouldnt work ? but can be with tuning. If i need a retune i mine as well stick with the 01 ecu . I was just trying to get away with not tuning my 01 ecu and swapping it out with the 99 ZMR2 bc i paid alot of money to have my 99 turbo cobra tuned but then got in a accident so i cant drive it . I was just going to swap the engine , 99 ecu and cluster into my 01 for a while and not get a tune.

anyone have pinouts for the 99 zmr2 and 01 MSE3?

99COBRA2881

Piss on Fox Sports1
Established Member
So your tuner doesn't have your tune file saved? Just have the 01 ECU flashed, swap all the engine and turbo parts over.

Sounds much easier

stang8762

Established Member
On My 99 turbo cobra which i crashed still runs and drives and is in my garage and currently has the tune programmed into it via sct tuner which does have the tune file saved on it .

Last week I purchased a low mileage 2001 cobra and i want to switch the motor from my 99 into bc it is a built forged motor and turbo ...

My question is can i just take out the 01 MSE3 ecu from the 01 cobra car and replace it with the 99 zmr2 so i dont have to get the car retuned .. Basically will be a 2001 cobra with a 99 ZMR2 ecu.

Physically just want to know if i can swap ecu's into the 01 cobra so my turbo motor will run.

OR:

can i take my SCT tuner and set my 99 back to stock and take my tuner over to my 2001 cobra and hook up to my 2001 and flash the ecu with my tune from the 99 cobra ..

Last edited:

stang8762

Established Member
After reading other posts i think the best option is just to keep my 01 wiring/ ecu intact and just swap my 99 motor and get a retune for the 01 ecu for my turbo setup . The 01 wiring / ecu is different than the 99 .

Can i use the 01 engine harness on the 99 engine?

Are there any differences i should look out for ?

I know they are different blocks but thats about all i know . My 99 has a teksid block.

Last edited:

MGannaway

Established Member
Clock speed is the same. 24MHz. Low speed fan may be on a different pin. A/C relay is different. Both of those items can be specified in the EEC. I have swapped from a 99 Cobra processor to a 99 GT processor and to an 04 GT processor. Everything in that family can be accounted for with tuning.

Hey I have some other questions about eec's. I dont want to hijack this post so I tried to PM you but your inbox is full. Can you please pm me

01yellercobra

Established Member
I think you missed the point of 99COBRA2881's post. Your tuner should have your current tune on file. So you should be able to call him and tell him you're switching to an 01 Cobra. He can convert the tune over to MSE3 and send it to you. No need for a full retune. Granted I'd still datalog and make sure everything is playing nice.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread