Swapped V6 Vs G8 GXP

fordmotorsports

Established Member
I was leaving work and getting on the interstate. I am in the turning lane and I see a maroon Pontiac turning onto the on ramp in front of me. I didn't get a good look, and I saw the GXP badges. I thought it looked smaller, so I placed it as a G6 GXP. He gets a little spirited on the on-ramp, so I play.

We get on the interstate and I thought he wasn't going to do anything, so I jumped in the left lane and shift into 4th. About the time I got even with him, he jumps, I am run ~70 at this time. I grab 3rd and give chase, by the time I start, I am at his rear bumper. I run out 3rd and am think to myself, DAMNIT G8 GXP not G6. I grab 4th and I am at the back of his front door and not gaining. I look down and we are going WAY too fast, 140, I have never even had my car this fast and decide to let off. I admitted defeat, but if we woulda hit it at the same time, it woulda been my 1/2 car up top.

Anywho, it was one of the closest runs I have had since I put the engine in my car. He gave me the thumbs up, and I was just thought I will make sure and check what kind of car it is for gear selection. :lol1:

Last edited:

02GTP

Banned
nice death. those things are heavy but they are putting down 370whp. i beat one by about two cars the other day that wasnt even broken in yet in my bolt on S197.

Klay

Established Member
Those G8's are pretty cool. Good thing GM is rebadging it as a Caprice and not letting it die off with the rest of Pontiac.

Unfortunately, that has turned out to be false. Apparently, Bob Lutz confirmed the G8 is dead (with no replacement) on the GM blog.

whiplash306

Established Member
I'm assuming you've done addt'l work to your car as a 106.66 trap speed "should" have no chance to keep up with a G8 GXP, in any sort of competition of acceleration. Now, a G8 GT, most definitely!

burnin4

Car Junkie
Established Member
haha, you raced my friend last night after he left my house, about 12:30am I-10. that car is bone stock, put down 310/312 last week on xxx's dyno pcola. he told me he had you by 1 car+ and he got the hit. he also said you guys raced to 140+. he has AR headers and cai being installed and tuned this/next week.

his last car was a paxton blown LS3 vette, made 560whp+.

Last edited:

whiplash306

Established Member
haha, you raced my friend last night after he left my house, about 12:30am I-10. that car is bone stock, put down 310/312 last week on xxx's dyno pcola. he told me he had you by 1 car+ and he got the hit. he also said you guys raced to 140+. he has AR headers and cai being installed and tuned this/next week.

Surely it's a G8 GT then if it's only puttin' down those numbers?????

burnin4

Car Junkie
Established Member
Surely it's a G8 GT then if it's only puttin' down those numbers?????

nope, it's a brand new gxp. I'm assuming it was really hot at xxx's shop, plus it's an automatic. he had a gt g8 for a month before he traded it for the gxp, it put down 279/290 stock, then 330/340 with headers/intake and tune.

whiplash306

Established Member
nope, it's a brand new gxp. I'm assuming it was really hot at xxx's shop, plus it's an automatic. he had a gt g8 for a month before he traded it for the gxp, it put down 279/290 stock, then 330/340 with headers/intake and tune.
WOW....that's the worst numbers I've heard of any GXP. It must be individual dyno tolerances, temp, humidity, etc....

fordmotorsports

Established Member

It was a good match, pretty much a dead heat. I was hanging out in his blind spot, behind his front door, still a 1/2 a car behind. I was trying to get the initial hit back. I tried to get him to roll again, but we couldn't get it timed right. I figured it was a all stock, time for the bottle. :rockon:

BTW, how is your car doing?

fordmotorsports

Established Member
I'm assuming you've done addt'l work to your car as a 106.66 trap speed "should" have no chance to keep up with a G8 GXP, in any sort of competition of acceleration. Now, a G8 GT, most definitely!

Since then I have added the 8.8 rear with 3.73s and the tuner. Those numbers were with one rear tire getting traction. :lol: The trap speeds of a GXP are in the 108 range stock.

burnin4

Car Junkie
Established Member
It was a good match, pretty much a dead heat. I was hanging out in his blind spot, behind his front door, still a 1/2 a car behind. I was trying to get the initial hit back. I tried to get him to roll again, but we couldn't get it timed right. I figured it was a all stock, time for the bottle. :rockon:

BTW, how is your car doing?

yeah, my friend said it was a good race. he is installing some headers and a cai and tune, which should pick up 50whp+. his gt g8 went from 279 stock to 335whp with the same mods.

my z is doing well, put down 561/495 fri night, new set of heads, cam, and intake manifold. she's pretty nasty, might go to montgomery this fri night to see how she does, expecting 134mph+ traps :-D

fordmotorsports

Established Member
yeah, my friend said it was a good race. he is installing some headers and a cai and tune, which should pick up 50whp+. his gt g8 went from 279 stock to 335whp with the same mods.

my z is doing well, put down 561/495 fri night, new set of heads, cam, and intake manifold. she's pretty nasty, might go to montgomery this fri night to see how she does, expecting 134mph+ traps :-D

Sounds like I wouldn't have a chance next week. LOL

Did Bubba do the Toon for ya? I saw that he was trying to line a bunch up this weekend. Did you ever put some sticky on your car or just running street tires?

burnin4

Car Junkie
Established Member
Sounds like I wouldn't have a chance next week. LOL

Did Bubba do the Toon for ya? I saw that he was trying to line a bunch up this weekend. Did you ever put some sticky on your car or just running street tires?

james/rwtd tuned it late fri night in mobile. I run mt dr's which hook really well, but ride like crap compared to my oem 19x12's....which dont hook worth crap.

DonaldTaco

Look! Its Unicron!!!!!
Established Member
I was leaving work and getting on the interstate. I am in the turning lane and I see a maroon Pontiac turning onto the on ramp in front of me. I didn't get a good look, and I saw the GXP badges. I thought it looked smaller, so I placed it as a G6 GXP. He gets a little spirited on the on-ramp, so I play.

We get on the interstate and I thought he wasn't going to do anything, so I jumped in the left lane and shift into 4th. About the time I got even with him, he jumps, I am run ~70 at this time. I grab 3rd and give chase, by the time I start, I am at his rear bumper. I run out 3rd and am think to myself, DAMNIT G8 GXP not G6. I grab 4th and I am at the back of his front door and not gaining. I look down and we are going WAY too fast, 140, I have never even had my car this fast and decide to let off. I admitted defeat, but if we woulda hit it at the same time, it woulda been my 1/2 car up top.

Anywho, it was one of the closest runs I have had since I put the engine in my car. He gave me the thumbs up, and I was just thought I will make sure and check what kind of car it is for gear selection. :lol1:

Nice death, I wouldn't be dissappointed at the outcome though. You did better than expected.

NA_Cobra

Established Member

G8 GXP trap 109, I think it's a pretty accurate race, however with the OP's 106 traps, thats not enough to come around a G8 GXP

Users who are viewing this thread