swap question?

mystic1996

Established Member
Well ive been out the mustang loop for a few years now and recently my 96 fried a ring and am looking at doing a 5.4 shelby swap into my mystic. I have the opportunity to get this set up including all the suspention (irs), breaks, trans... pretty much everything under the body (2007)...will the irs work on a sn95..i know tremi irs swaps have been done on sn95's but not to familiar with the new ones. Any info would be great ..thanks.

2DXTRM

Pushrod 5.0
Established Member
Well ive been out the mustang loop for a few years now and recently my 96 fried a ring and am looking at doing a 5.4 shelby swap into my mystic. I have the opportunity to get this set up including all the suspention (irs), breaks, trans... pretty much everything under the body (2007)...will the irs work on a sn95..i know tremi irs swaps have been done on sn95's but not to familiar with the new ones. Any info would be great ..thanks.

Shelbys dont have an IRS...they have a solid axle...

There is one guy on here who has done the 5.4 Shelby swap into his car with a progress thread.

2DXTRM

Pushrod 5.0
Established Member
What you can use from the 2007 in to your 96:

The entire 5.4 engine setup (the wiring wont interchange ie plug and play unless you want to re-pin everything), using your existing engine wiring and computer. You will need to modify some of the wiring and then get a tune for the new engine.

Front brake setup along with the use of this kit (but you will need to buy new wheels!) SN95 Mustang: Shelby GT500 Brake and Wheel Conversion Kit — Vintage Venom - Vintage Mustang Disc Brake Kits.

The TR6060 6 speed (from the 2007) will need extra work to get it to fit properly into your 96. If you are able to aquire it and sell it to someone with an 05+, you can buy a T56 Magnum (6 speed) kit to bolt into your car.

The 05+ cars are an entirely new chassis from the old 79-04 style "Fox" chassis, so no suspension components will interchange between the two chassis styles.

If you want an IRS setup, get one out of the 99-04 Cobras, 03-04 being the better years, and upgrade the bushings.

Users who are viewing this thread