Swap from wrecked 05?

ForcFed93

Established Member
I have a junkyard buddy that had an 05 Mustang come in and I can get some parts cheap from it. My question is, does anyone know how to swap the stereo in? It has the 6CD MP3 stereo that would be nice in my Cobra. Also, would the steering wheel be able to swap over as well?

TIA

CY98Cobra

Established Member
I remember reading that they changed the stereo systems in the new stangs. The Shaker system is setup different then the Mach. I doubt the system will sound good is this is in fact the case.

However, you could always buy a harness that will plug into the back of the headunit and one that plugs into your wiring harness and wire them together. This is what I did to swap the 01+ 6 disc changer in my car. This will be the only way to find out if it will work and sound half way decent.

sLOWDOHC

Established Member
That damn radio is HUGE! With out MAJOR MAJOR MAJOR modification, it will simply not be possible. If you can, grab the parts cheap, and sell them on Ebay. Im sure theyll go for big $$$, then use that for the 01+ swap that Josh completed.

ForcFed93

Established Member
The size is the only thing that bothers me, I would attempt the wiring, but cutting my dash would not be an option.

Would the center piece out of a newer model fit to where my older model style does?

Such as in this pic.
87_1_b.jpg

On a side note, there is NO way to make the newer model steering wheel fit without major modification.

Last edited:

ForcFed93

Established Member
CY98Cobra said:
Yes, the center dash piece fits fine in our cars. I bought mine off ebay for like $20.

Sweet, I'm almost certain that the shaker 500 HU is the same size as the 2001+ HU's. The system even has the factory harnesses in the back, so I just gotta figure out which wire goes where.

Thanks

I'll probably be posting up wiring Q's here before too long.

sLOWDOHC

Established Member
I doubt it man. Ill compare the 01+ and 05+ kits tomorrow at work. I swear the 05 is quite a bit bigger than the 01+. Ill post some results first thing in the morning.

ForcFed93

Established Member
sLOWDOHC said:
I doubt it man. Ill compare the 01+ and 05+ kits tomorrow at work. I swear the 05 is quite a bit bigger than the 01+. Ill post some results first thing in the morning.

I would appreciate that. When you hold the system in your hand it doesn't seem that big, I held it up to my dash and I could almost swear it would fit. The width I'm certain would fit, maybe a little bit too tall however.

Thanks again.

CY98Cobra

Established Member
Measure the system. The 01+ unit is a double din, 7"x4". If the 05 system is more than 7" wide and 4" tall it's too big.

Users who are viewing this thread