Swap for T56 Magnum XL

FreshKill420

Established Member
My MT82 broke 5th and 3rd is scratching when shifting into gear. I had the dreaded 3rd gear lock out forever and 1 / 5 passes will let me in 3rd. So now I am looking to upgrade to the T56 Magnum XL. My goals is to eventually get into the 700 - 800 range. Currently 600's with a Vortech V3 SI.

I looked at several different threads and so far I have gather this as for the list of parts needed for T56 Magnum XL.
  • 26 Spline Clutch. Most likely will go with Mcleod RXT clutch
  • T56 Magnum XL either from JPC or Beef Cake
  • New Driveshaft
  • 3.73 or 4.10 gears
Is there anything else that I am missing? I noticed several kits try to add fly wheel, throw-out bearing, etc. I would like to do this right the first time but not sure if they are necessary.

Norm Peterson

Established Member
Flywheel mod is not necessary simply because you're swapping the transmission. But if your OE flywheel needs resurfacing or you have a good reason to go to other than an OE flywheel, having the transmission out for the swap does make for an opportune time to go that deep.

Only upgrade reason I can think of would be to a lighter flywheel. Just keep in mind that 1st gear in either Magnum XL gearset is taller than 1st in the MT82 (either version). Consider transmission gearset and axle ratio carefully . . . 1st gears are either 2.97 or. 2.66

Same things apply for the 4.6L guys and the TR3650 transmission. I'm looking into a Magnum XL myself, mostly for the smaller steps between gear ratios and road course use.

Norm

SS lol

Established Member
You need to upgrade flywheel because the RXT covers more surface that the stock flywheel does not allow for. I recently went with the RXT 1200 and it feels great also definitely go 4.10 gear you’ll be glad you did.

Sent from my iPhone using svtperformance.com

SS lol

Established Member
Image1557283132.244212.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using the svtperformance.com mobile app

Norm Peterson

Established Member
You need to upgrade flywheel because the RXT covers more surface that the stock flywheel does not allow for.
Thanks for the tip . . . something that didn't even occur to me. Mostly because I'm looking at the flywheel more as a place to drop some rotating mass than for compatibility with clutches capable of holding big power.

I recently went with the RXT 1200 and it feels great also definitely go 4.10 gear you’ll be glad you did.
I'm afraid my particular situation isn't that simple. I'm a road course guy, and 4.10's would have me grabbing 5th coming out of the turn onto the long straight at one of my home track courses. Meaning I'd be in 5th for essentially the whole length of the straight and actually hitting a slower peak speed (and running slower lap times as well) than I'm doing with the TR3650 and 3.55's.

I realize that 4.10's would make the car feel peppier around town in any given gear. But the zero to speed/zero to distance stuff never was all that important to me and is even less so these days. FWIW, I'm not running 27" tall tires any more so I don't need quite as much gear to get the same effect anyway.

Norm

Users who are viewing this thread