SVTPP Wheel (not tire) losing air pressure? Is this possible?

efurlong

Established Member
Hi All, I have a 2013 GT500 with the SVTPP package & wheels. One of my front stock Goodyears always seemed to lose air pressure- several psi in a month or so ( it's not a DD). I never found a nail or screw, & wanted new tires anyway. So, I bought new tires last month, same thing...the same wheel is losing air just like before. Has anybody seen this before? Could it be the wheel, or just really bad luck?

NJredfire03

Established Member
eda362da351f537c420d7e1403892a17.jpg

All four of my valve stems

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

efurlong

Established Member
Thanks, I'll look into a new valve stem- is the tire pressure sensor part of the valve stem? Thanks

pldva01

Established Member
I had this problem a couple of years ago and it was a barcode sticker that was on the wheel were the tire bead sets. After the tire tech removed the sticker the tire did not loose any air.

Snoopy49

Established Member
I had this problem a couple of years ago and it was a barcode sticker that was on the wheel were the tire bead sets. After the tire tech removed the sticker the tire did not loose any air.

The label was on the tire bead, not on the wheel. The OP changed tires and the problem did not go away.

P3141071-2.JPG

Catmonkey

I Void Warranties!
Established Member
Premium Member
Hard to imagine it could be a wheel, but you never know. Is it possible to find a tub large enough to put the whole wheel tire assembly in so you can attempt to see the leak? Maybe a kids inflatable pool might work.

brianz426

Established Member
Thanks, I'll look into a new valve stem- is the tire pressure sensor part of the valve stem? Thanks

I had the same problem, right front tire was loosing 2-3 lbs. per month. I can't remember if the pressure sensor was part of the valve stem but what I can tell you is that my tire guy (known him 30 years) told me that valve stems for these cars are not available anymore. Seems ridiculous since they're not that old. The good news is that it's probably just corrosion on the stem like in the picture above. A trustworthy tire shop can pull the stem clean the corrosion and replace the o-ring. My tire guy did this 3 months ago and no loss of pressure since. In another thread a guy mentioned not to replace the factory stem with a standard rubber stem because they don't hold up to the high speeds our cars are capable of.

brianz426

Established Member
Snoop,
I should have been more clear, he claimed they weren't available from Ford or the dealer. I still find that hard to believe but I never bothered to check since an o-ring solved the problem.

Snoopy49

Established Member
Tob,
Can you check out this P/N (DR3Z-1700-B) and see if it is the correct repair kit for the 2013-14 GT500 TPMS?

Established Member
$500 bucks seems steep. Are guys having to pay full freight on these?

Tousley Ford Maybe?

yellow03cobra

Established Member
Had the issue on a previous roush I had and was told by the ford dealership that they had to take off the tire and grind a new smooth surface on the wheel to get them to seal better. Never had it done was waiting for new tires to have it fixed but sold the car first.

magrag

Established Member
Had the same problem, lost air enough for TPS light to come on.
The second time I took it back to my tire dealer, they put the wheel and tire in a huge tub with green die and we could see the bubbles coming from the valve stem base.
Right away they knew it was the TPS sensor seal, I thought I would have to go to Ford for the seal, but they said no they had it in stock (it takes the blue kit).
Kit was about $5.00 I believe total cost was about $22.00 and that was with nitrogen
refil in that tire. No problem since.

efurlong

Established Member
TPS sensor seal kit

So- I called my local Ford Dealer. Both Service & Parts...no one had a clue & could not find a TPS sensor seal. Does anybody here have a part number. Thanks a lot!

fastlx1

Established Member
As for the "rubber seal/o-ring" on the TPMS valve stem you can't get that from the Ford dealer. That is not serviceable separately from the valve stem from ford. Only way to get that from the dealer is to buy the valve stem. You can get the stem separate from the sensor which would reduce cost. Other than that if such a thing exist it is from an aftermarket company and not ford. maybe a tire company might have some more insight as to where to get that seal but as far as ford goes you can't get it from them without getting the valve stem.

Users who are viewing this thread