SVTP Skiers, come on in

WildFifty

Established Member
Any skiers here in SVTP?
I have skied most of my life, pretty much all over the place in the US, Canada and Argentina.

I am in the process of buying new equipment and I am looking for opinions since I have not shopped around for new gear in a while. I know I want to go with an all mountain twin tip ski but there are hundreds of options which make it really hard to decide. Not to mention boots and bindings too.

Any input is welcome. What do you guys have?

Last edited:

Coiled03

Established Member
Started skiing when I was three years old, but don't really know much about the current equipment.

Sorry for the useless post.

VerySneaky

Bug Annihilator
Established Member
I ski east coast hills. Branding is an intensely personal choice, like a decepticon, but I would stick with Rossignol, Volkl, or Atomic.
Www.evo.com usually has good deals on gear and reviews of said gear.
Boots, I wouldn't buy without trying on first and make sure you walk around in them for 10 minutes or so, sore feet make for a bad day. Evo also has guides on what sizes and styles to look for.
AND you can filter the brands, ski/board type, and size.
Best of luck. :beer

Last edited:

NJ03SVTCobra

Addicted Open Tracker
Established Member
LOL...

This is a good thread for me to chime in. I will quickly toot my own horn real quick. I have skied since I was two and raced SL, GS, and SG for eleven years all through J5's to J1's and 2's. I went to Junior Olympics twice, and skiing was pretty much a twelve month sport for me. I skied in Chile for three weeks during the summer, started my winter season in Mont Tremblant over Thanksgiving and skied until April every winter. I then took two months off then did it all over again. :rockon::rockon:

Skies are very preferential, I would need some more information to give you some good advice, but i am a certified boot fitter, and know skies like our forum knows Mustang's... well. PM if you need to I can certainly help you out.

DMassey

No Habla Jibber Jabber
Established Member
I've been a fairly avid skier since 1992. I've mostly just skied our local WV resorts (Winterplace, Snowshoe, Canaan), except for the one trip I took to the French Alps (Meribel/Courchevel) in 1994. Ever since I graduated college in 02, I pretty much just go 2-3 times a year. I still use the same ole Rossi 198's that I've used since I got them around 99/00. I know they are pretty outdated by marketing standards, but my whole combo is very comfortable & predictable for me and I still LOVE it.

BAD351W

Established Member
I ski in VT every winter, have been for about 6 years now. Ive had great luck with my K2 apaches. Whichever ski's you do decide on, take a quick look on ebay before you buy. You can usually find great deals on brand new skis from reputable dealers.

D's01Snake

Motor City Muscle
Established Member
I Snowboard here in Utah. I live about 15 mins from solitude (my season pass) snow bird alta. 30 mins from The cayons in Park City. Its about the only thing good in this wacko state.

aaandht

Established Member
Get to a demo day. There are so many choices and you really need to find which one fits you the best. However, Atomic seems to be the choice now days. I have a 5 year old pair of SX-7's. My mom just picked up one of their all mountains ski's and loves them(Previously she would only ski Volkl). Most of my family is skiing on Atomic skis now that I think about it.

I did demo Rossi Zenith 11s(doubt this model is around but you can probably find a similar) a couple years ago and those things were tits. It was only a 162cm ski(I am usually on 175's), and they were stable at high speeds and when you wanted to throw them around they were really nimble.

NJ03SVTCobra

Addicted Open Tracker
Established Member
Get to a demo day. There are so many choices and you really need to find which one fits you the best. However, Atomic seems to be the choice now days. I have a 5 year old pair of SX-7's. My mom just picked up one of their all mountains ski's and loves them(Previously she would only ski Volkl). Most of my family is skiing on Atomic skis now that I think about it.

I did demo Rossi Zenith 11s(doubt this model is around but you can probably find a similar) a couple years ago and those things were tits. It was only a 162cm ski(I am usually on 175's), and they were stable at high speeds and when you wanted to throw them around they were really nimble.

Do you ski locally or in NY or VT, or do you go on ski trips usually?

MissGT23

Established Member
I ski in VT every winter, have been for about 6 years now. Ive had great luck with my K2 apaches. Whichever ski's you do decide on, take a quick look on ebay before you buy. You can usually find great deals on brand new skis from reputable dealers.

I am going to Colorado in December to skii. Ski'd once before :dw:
I ordered my ski's and boots real cheap on ebay last week. There is alot out there to choose from.

bolinger06

Established Member
ive been skiing since i was 5 and switched over to snowboarding last year just to switch it up..i bought a brand new pair of skis from the local store in town...find a guy who actually knows his stuff and ask him some questions. Ask him about last years models...usually theyre discounted and you can get a pretty good deal on them..if you wanna use the internet i bought my board off of thehouse.com awesome place with good customer service..good luck man

WildFifty

Established Member
Thanks for all the input fellas, im glad to hear everybody has had good experiences with Atomic because I went ahead and picked up a pair last night.

First I got fitted for boots. The best for fit, comfort, performance, and price were a pair of Langes. I got 25% off bc they are a season model old. I walked around in them for at least 10 min and had them heat fitted too. By far these are the nicest boots I have ever worn.

I opted to go with the 2012 Atomic Panic skis in 165 with Marker squire bindings. I have read good reviews on both products and I felt that the sales man really knew what he was talking about. I was there for about 3 hours going through options fittings and everything.

Buying the ski package set me up with a free set of poles and 20 bucks to install the bindings. Over all im very excited about my new setup. Can’t wait for the snow to come. Im hoping its going to be like night and day skiing with rental equipment for the last 4-5 years to finally have a top of the line equipment.

Coiled03

Established Member
LOL, no worries. How is the skiing up in IL?

Recommend any good websites for deals or forums?

I've only been skiing in IL once in my life, and it sucked.

When I was younger, we'd ski in Colorado/Wyoming/Utah pretty much every year, though.

Don't know of any good websites for deals, unfortunatley. I've found the best deals at the local shops at the BOTTOM of the mountain, (e.g. Denver if you're in Colorado).

EDIT: Nevermind. You already bought your stuff.

UncleDan

Established Member
Third year of skiing this season, just bought K2 Apaches (no more rentals for me.) Having them tuned and getting fitted for boots in a few weeks.

346CamaroSS

Established Member
Ive been skiing since I was 3... Unfortunately I don't go as much now that I am older. Can't tell you much about current equipment.

Ever ski Tahoe? West coast is where its at... Whistler is just a few hours north, mountains in WA are decent.. And Tahoe is a 2 hour plane ride away.

Coiled03

Established Member
Ive been skiing since I was 3... Unfortunately I don't go as much now that I am older. Can't tell you much about current equipment.

Ever ski Tahoe? West coast is where its at... Whistler is just a few hours north, mountains in WA are decent.. And Tahoe is a 2 hour plane ride away.

Tahoe is nice, but Colorado/Wyoming >>>>>>> Tahoe. Sierra cement is the worst "snow" there is.

cali_kr

King of the Road
Established Member
Grew up in BC, started at Whistler before there was a village and Blackcomb. Also used to take our ski gear to high school, and as soon as school got out at 3:00pm, we'd jump on the muni bus to Grouse Mountain, night ski under the lights with a flask of rum and herbal enhancements (hey, we were teenagers 30 years ago)...good times...ski till they closed the place, and then gondola back down to the bus stop, and home we went...

Skied the Sierras regularly upon moving to CA. and Colorado (vail mid week = epic), and carved some ice on the east coast (fook that)...

back to the original post, no idea on equipment, as back surgery 18 months ago, and now neck surgery in 4 weeks, have permanently placed me on IR :cryying:

Users who are viewing this thread