SVTP Gets it Up : Redline Tuning Bolt-In Hood Lift Struts Install

SID297

OWNER/ADMIN
Administrator
http://www.svtperformance.com/forum...ine-tuning-bolt-hood-lift-struts-install.html

It’s 2012. We shouldn’t have to deal with an unsightly prop-rod to support the raised hood of our Mustangs. Unfortunately, Ford doesn’t seem to agree with my sentiment. If I had it my way, I’d have Ford add two things to the Mustang; a set of hood struts and an “avoid ghetto” option to the navigation system. Until Ford decides to hire me as a consultant, we can all consider ourselves lucky that we have a great company like Redline Tuning that produces the products we need to solve the minor shortcomings with our vehicles.

That brings me to the SVTP 2012 GT, I was sick of that prop-rod. Having to look at it day-after-day at Mustang Week just pushed me over the edge, it had to go. In a bit of an irrational fervor I called up Redline Tuning and got their new Bolt-In Hood Lift System. Possibly sensing my earnestness the Redline guys must have kicked it in overdrive because the struts arrived to the SVTP World HQ in record time. Upon completion of a round of fist bumps and high fives with fellow members of the Hood-Prop Haters Club we got to work installing the Redline Tuning kit. Follow along with the install below:

Redline ships their hood struts in this custom mailer tube.

Redline_Tuning_SVTP_GT_001.jpg

This is what you'll find when you open the package.

Redline_Tuning_SVTP_GT_002.jpg

Redline's instructions are replete with full color photos and are concisely written. They are some of the best, quality wise, I have seen.

Redline_Tuning_SVTP_GT_003.jpg

The kit's mounting hardware is elegantly simple and finished in black powder coat.

Redline_Tuning_SVTP_GT_004.jpg

The Redline struts are perfectly matched to the weight of the factory aluminum Mustang hood.

Redline_Tuning_SVTP_GT_005.jpg

Now it's time to start he install. Don't blink, because it goes pretty quickly.

Redline_Tuning_SVTP_GT_006.jpg

Say goodby to ugly Mr. Prop Rod. As you can see from the banner in the background, we're back at Arrington Performance. You may see some fast, and portly, Dodges in these pics.

Redline_Tuning_SVTP_GT_007.jpg

We may have been working on an updated version of out Magnuson CAI.

Redline_Tuning_SVTP_GT_008.jpg

You see this hole in the hood?

Redline_Tuning_SVTP_GT_010.jpg

You put this Redline mount into it.

Redline_Tuning_SVTP_GT_011.jpg

You just have to angle it into place.

Redline_Tuning_SVTP_GT_013.jpg

You then just tighten it down.

Redline_Tuning_SVTP_GT_021.jpg

And this is what you'll have when finished.

Redline_Tuning_SVTP_GT_028.jpg

You then locate this nicely painted fender bolt.

Redline_Tuning_SVTP_GT_014.jpg

Before removing the bolt I wrapped it with tape in an attempt to preserve the paint.

Redline_Tuning_SVTP_GT_016.jpg

It seemed like a fool proof plan.

Redline_Tuning_SVTP_GT_020.jpg

It didn't really work out the way I had planed though.

Redline_Tuning_SVTP_GT_018.jpg

Nonetheless, we were left with this nice spot for the Redline lower mount.

Redline_Tuning_SVTP_GT_019.jpg

I had a plan though. I picked up some new bolts from Ford, less than $1 each, that I'll eventually paint black.

Redline_Tuning_SVTP_GT_025.jpg

With black painted bolts I think the Redline kit will look like factory installed hardware.

Redline_Tuning_SVTP_GT_026.jpg

The struts then just pop into the ball studs on the upper and lower mounts.

Redline_Tuning_SVTP_GT_032.jpg

You may have to hold up the hood a little higher than normal to get the top of the strut to pop onto the mount

Redline_Tuning_SVTP_GT_033.jpg

You then just have to repeat the process on the other side.

Redline_Tuning_SVTP_GT_035.jpg

At that point you're finished.

Redline_Tuning_SVTP_GT_034.jpg

You no longer have to deal with the prop rod. It would be a good idea to remove it to avoid marring of the radiator shroud.

Redline_Tuning_SVTP_GT_036.jpg

Another benefit of Redline's kit is that it makes it possible to take better pics of the engine bay. Here's a sneak peak at a few more products being prototyped on the SVTP GT.

Redline_Tuning_SVTP_GT_023.jpg

SVTP Vendor JLT Performance offers the Redline Tuning kits painted to match the color of your car, and they produced this great install video to go along with them.

<iframe width="1280" height="720" src="http://www.youtube-nocookie.com/embed/E4onp33tiXk" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>​

To say I’m satisfied with Redline Tuning system is a bit of an understatement, sort of like calling a Daisy Cutter a firecracker. Ok, that may be a bit of an overstatement of the understatement, but you get the point. These things are awesome. They look great, function well, and make it easier to work on your engine. One of the best aspects of the Redline system is that it is 100% bolt-in with no drilling required. If you’re like me, drilling holes into painted panels on a brand new car is not something you get overly excited about. If I could leave you with one final piece of advice, it would be to install the Redline Tuning hood struts when the car is as new as possible. This will help avoid the stock prop-rod marring the surface of the radiator cover. Avoid unsightly rub marks on your radiator cover caused by that ghastly prop-rod and get yourself a kit from Redline Tuning.

-SID297:beer:

Last edited by a moderator:

StacyStangz

"Supercharged Stacy" - PR
Established Member
The Redlines work really well. I have them on my 98 Cobra as well.
I noticed at Mustang Week how sturdy they were when the wind blew thru compared to the other company that were selling them....

RDJ

ZERO shits given
Established Member
why the **** couldn't they have made those no drill ones earlier? awesome. I had to go with the drill ones on my mystichrome.

cluscher

Established Member
Wondering if those Redline decals come off? Not a big fan of those, but otherwise they look awesome.

Turbosnake281

Established Member
i would get them but breaking the paint on my cobra fender bolt kills me inside, plus i dont go to car shows often enough to care. but they look really nice!

NJSP117

Established Member
Great write up! I have the same on my GB Boss....it was the easiest, best looking install ever!

SID297

OWNER/ADMIN
Administrator
i would get them but breaking the paint on my cobra fender bolt kills me inside, plus i dont go to car shows often enough to care. but they look really nice!

I have an update.

I'd be more more worried about the prop-rod leaving a wear scar on the radiator cover than breaking some paint off the fender bolts (that a little touch-up paint can fix).

Article_Updates_SVTP_GT_013.jpg

Also, looking under the hood it appears that a black braket with a plain bolt is pretty much as stock looking as you can get.

Article_Updates_SVTP_GT_012.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread